Stranded - Chapter 29

Chapter 29

It was all happening so fast. A few minutes ago we were pretty safe, and now, it was like we were starting over. We had to try and make it to the English block without getting attacked and killed. I was so frightened. It had to happen when I was injured.

These corpses scared the hell out of me. One bite, and you were dead. How was I going to make it across there with my leg broken?

"We're running out of time, we need to go now," Bradley shouted.

"Lewis and I will go first. We'll fight off the corpses, whilst you all get to safety," Josh said. That was a very bad idea, there was a herd of at least 20.

"You can't risk your lives for us!" Faye cried.

"We have to. We'll fight them, you guys go, okay?" We didn't want to agree, we didn't want them sacrificing themselves for us, but we had no choice. With their spears in their hands, Josh and Lewis ran out of the office straight into the crowd of zombies, doing their best to kill them all. I was overwhelmed, we only had a short distance to run, but the zombies were lethal.

I couldn't bear to watch Lewis and Josh fight the zombies. I just wanted them to be okay.

"Lauren, you go first and open the door for us!" Bradley ordered. Lauren was shaking like a leaf but nodded. She hesitantly ran to the English block. It looked like she wasn't seen, but we couldn't be sure. "Bella, you go next. Tom will go with you. Faye and I will follow," I felt sick with worry. I didn't want to slow everyone down.

I gulped, unsure. Bradley opened the door and I limped out with Tom by my side. He had a handmade dagger in each hand.

It was so hard to limp fast. I thought I could use my crutches as weapons if I had to, but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. We had nearly made it when a zombie appeared next to us, gurgling with hunger. "Tom!" I screamed. He elbowed the zombie and then stabbed it's head. We carried on.

Bradley and Faye had set off too. The zombies were getting nearer to them, and I saw they had to kill a few. Tom walked behind me backwards, guarding me. We reached the door and Lauren swung it open for us. She was shivering as she closed it. I was out of breath, as was Tom. We slumped against the wall, waiting. Faye and Bradley were in the distance, running. But there was no sign of Lewis and Josh.

"Come on, come on," I whispered, watching Faye and Bradley. Suddenly Faye crashed into the door, tapping urgently for us to let them in. Bradley was behind. Lauren quickly opened the door and I saw their daggers were stained with blood. Bradley bent down, resting his hands on his knees, panting. Faye wiped her forehead.

"How many are still out there?" Tom questioned, urgently.

"It's hard to tell. More and more keep arriving," Faye tried to catch her breath.

"We need to get out of here," Bradley panted.

"We can't just leave Lewis and Josh!" I said, moving forwards with my crutches.

"Bella, we have to!" Bradley replied.

"I can't leave them, they went out there to save us all!" I pleaded. Everyone exchanged glances.

"We'll wait for five more mi-"

"Help!" someone cried outside. I had a horrible feeling in my stomach.