4. Friends

Dan

I can't believe I just did that. I stand in front of him and suppress laughter when I see the expression on his face. His eyes and mouth are wide open. He blinks a couple times and rubs his eyes.

"A-are you f-friendly?" Phil stutters.

'Obviously,' I write. The words come out a bit smudged since I'm left-handed. The only reason why I haven't appeared in front of him is because I don't what to scare him away.

I must admit I am a bit, what's the right word... excited. The last person I made contact with was a little 4 year old. It's not the same talking to a child and an adult.

"Wow," he whispers. "Can we be friends?" he blurts out quickly.

Can we be friends?

'I don't see why not,' I write. I can't believe I'm doing this.

"Awesome! Wow I'm friends with a ghost," he says sounding amazed.

He goes to sit on the desk chair. I sit on the floor and rest my back against one of the desk legs. Phil stares at the piece of paper.

"How do I know this isn't a dream?" Phil asks skeptically.

"Do I look fake to you?" I ask as I suddenly make myself visible.

He jumps and falls off the chair. His long legs manage to kick me in the process.

"That hurt," I joke with a giggle.

"You're real! Oh my god!" he exclaims as he crawls away from me.

Ouch.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," I whisper as I shrink into myself. I make myself invisible and run through the wall leaving a small gust of cold wind behind. I go down the hall and stright into the guest room closet.

Why did I do that!? Am I crazy or something? I probably scared him away!

Great job, Dan. You blew your chance at making a friend.

I hear a door open and close. And then another, and another until Phil finally gets to the room I'm in.

"D-Dan?" he calls out into the empty room.

I stay quiet.

"Please, Dan? I promise you didn't scare me. I was just surprised," Phil says.

Slowly, I peek my head out of the closet. He just stares at the door. It probably looks like it opened on its own since he can't see me. Little by little I make myself visable. Phil doesn't react this time.

"How did you know I was in here?" I whisper.

"Its colder in here than in the other rooms."

"Oh."

He slowly walks over to me. I stay still. Phil comes over and stands in front of me. He looks me up and down.

"Can I touch you?" he asks.

I blush. "I-if you want," I stutter.

Phil carefully reaches up and pokes my shoulder. "Shouldn't my finger go through?" His eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"Only if I choose for it to do so," I answer nervously.

He reaches up to poke me again. This time his finger goes through. Phil just stares in amazement. He lets out a small giggle. A smile finds it way onto my face.

"Cool," he says, poking me once again. "Do you want to go back to my room?"

"Sure."

Phil turns around and starts to open the door for us. I just casually walk through the walls until I get to his room. I sit on his bed as I wait for him to get here. He arrives a few seconds later. He comes and lays down beside me.