~Chapter Two~

Later that day,  Steven accompanied Prince James to visit the king.

It wasn't Steven's favorite occasion.  Honestly,  it frightened him deeply.  Steven feared that he would accidentally glance at the king the wrong way,  and the king would behead him.

So Steven knelt silently beside Prince James,  who sat on his own lavish throne, his eyes to the floor,  not even daring to peak up.

The King's voice boomed throughout the throne room,  echoing off the walls.  "You will be twenty in six weeks,  Son. "

"I know,  Father. " The Prince replied.  "We've had this discussion. "

Steven's mind was racing with questions.  What discussion? Why did Prince James's age matter?

"You need to choose soon,  Son.  And wisely,  also.  You must keep alliances,  dowry, and wealth in mind."

"I'm aware,  Father. "

The king was silent for a moment, and Steven could feel his gaze on him.

Steven's face turned red as he kept his head down.  He clenched his hands tightly behind his back.

"And what of him?  Are we able to discuss such matters in front of your servant?"

He said the word servant with venom in his voice,  with a degrading tone.

It made Steven want to hang his head lower,  ashamed of his status.

Usually, Steven would be proud to even be a servant,  and not a slave.  He could leave of he wanted to,  he had that choice.
But he never would.  The money was fairly good and he had to take care of his mother somehow.

However,  other times,  usually when he was in the presence of the king,  Steven was reminded just how lowly he was.

He was reminded how in the Royal family's eyes,  he was a mere device, used to make their lives more comfortable.

His thoughts were broken by the sound of Prince James's chuckle.

"Steven?  He's a good servant,  he wouldn't speak a word of what he discuss, would you,  Steven? "

Steven's breathing became uneven.  Did Prince James expect him to speak? Steven slowly nodded.  Then he shook his head.  What was the question,  again?

"Steven!  Look at me. " Prince James snapped.

Slowly,  Steven tilted his head up and looked at the Prince. 

Prince James reached his hand down from the arm rest of his throne and clenched Steven's jaw between his index finger and his thumb.  "You would never speak a word of what we discuss,  would you? "

Steven's eyes were wide as he gave an awkward shake of his head,  the Prince still clenching his jaw. 

"Speak. " The king growled from the other side of the room.

"N-no,  Your Majesties. " Steven gasped out.  "I would never. "

Prince James ran his thumb softly along the small boy's jawline,  then let go.

Steven jerked his head down.

"Good. " The king said.  "There have been servants Who have began speaking outside the palace of what they overhear.  It is unacceptable. "