Chapter 28. Aislinn McBride

Start from the beginning

I push up to a seated position and reach to touch her, but she throws back her head with a laugh. Thick, lustrous hair flies upward and away from a face which is no longer fourteen and pimply, but refined, porcelain beauty. Her shoulders straighten as her beanpole body plumps and curves to pinup proportions. Beams of light shoot from her fingers and toes to dispel the fog.

Lucy's voice interrupts my transfixion. "Finally, something interesting! I was about to die of boredom."

Daniela erupts in a rare giggle. "Hate to break it to you, but you're already dead."

Lucy and Daniela are three feet to my right and floating above the Salvia brothers. Ben's eyes are narrowed and his mouth set in a frown. George is wide-eyed with a half-smile on his face. Fuck me, I know that cunt-struck look.

As I rise to stand, my eyes flick back to the glowing young woman. Long red hair reaches her waist. Her skin is unblemished and creamy white. She's barefoot and wearing a short green tunic belted with cordage. Hanging from her right shoulder is a wooden bow strung with animal sinew.

Unblinking green eyes meet mine. Her lips don't move, yet I hear a woman's voice.

"You are a divine being, my child."

Her seductive voice unleashes a flood of memories. Countless letters and phone calls with Daniela. The one person with whom I could share my fears, hopes, and dreams.

Meeting Christopher. I was bored and standing against the wall at a fraternity party when this handsome redheaded guy met my eyes. My interest piqued as he crossed the room to join me. In a thick Irish brogue, he asked, "Do ye hail from Donegal County?" When I laughed in surprise at his correct assumption, he dropped the funny accent and we talked all night until the sun came up the next morning.

A long time ago, I was happy. A small, abandoned part of me wants to open my heart to this wonderous being. "Brigid?"

Brigid's lips widen in a dazzling white smile and she nods.

An uneasy feeling grips my gut and sparks the memory of Brigid's arrow slicing through my womb to pin me to the ground. My searing grief overwhelms any fleeting joy. This bitch made me think I was crazy from all the pregnancy hormones!

For the longest time, I thought I'd had an epic nightmare about a near miscarriage until I saw Dr. Betty Morton in the psych ward with Amber.

My mind's reeling with confusion. There's so much I want to ask her, but all I can manage is, "Why?"

Her smile doesn't waver, but somehow a melodic laugh fills my ears. "My priestesses called upon me to save your baby girl."

Doubt stabs at my emerging hope and tears stream down my dusty face. "Then why did you let Conlan die?"

The goddess's smile retreats to an unreadable mask. She speaks without moving her lips. "The boy king was taken to keep him safe."

As I'm struggling to make sense of the goddess's riddles, Lucy's laughter interrupts my train of thought. "Oh my God! Do something witchy already! Shoot Aislinn with a thunderbolt or something."

Brigid raises an eyebrow and reaches behind her back to retrieve a six-foot arrow. The shaft is an inch thick and covered in sigils. I'm frozen as she draws back the bowstring. My brain is screaming Run! But I'm overcome by a strange peace with the realization that my suffering will end. I open my arms to Brigid and her arrow. "Do it."

Squeezing my eyes shut, I hear a whoosh as Brigid sends the arrow flying.

I wait for the arrow to tear through my heart, but nothing happens.