Chapter 28. Aislinn McBride

Unknown time and realm

The demonic volcano explodes in a towering lava fountain and spews a steamy, sulphureous gas. Rumbling swells to a crescendo that sends a shockwave through the ground. A fiery chasm splits the road at the foot of the mountain, devouring burning shacks and cars. A roaring sound fills my ears and throws me off balance. As I stumble into Amber, she grabs my hand to pull me upright.

A wave of black smoke billows across the roadway to swallow Lucy, Daniela, and her adult sons. Noxious fumes invade my nose as we're plunged into darkness. I'm struggling to breathe. My heart hammers with panic as I gasp for air. The disembodied voices of strangers cut through the murk.

"You're broken, Aislinn."

"Cursed and condemned."

A whimper escapes my lips as Amber releases my hand. I reach for her, but my fingers clutch air. "Honey, don't leave me!" We're going to die in this hellhole.

As if she's reading my mind, my former best friend shouts, "Sheriff Graves, come back! You've got to get my boys out of here!"

Lucy's silky voice floats from the fog. "What about the kid? Aislinn's a horrific whore, but her daughter doesn't deserve to die."

Daniela's voice lowers an octave as she growls, "Fuck those putas."

My hands close into fists as rage surges up my spine. I strike at the darkness, even as I know my blows won't land on anything living. "Bitch, come say that to my face!"

The ground shakes and I struggle to remain standing. Eerie screams of unfamiliar voices mingle with the insults thrown by Daniela and Lucy.

"You'll never find your stupid baby."

"Conlan's dead. You don't deserve him."

Through the shouting, Amber's soft voice somehow reaches my ears. "Naomh Bríd, déan sinn a chosaint."

I remember this prayer. Saint Brigid, protect us.

The dense fog darkens, then swirls to encircle me. Heavy, humid air presses against my skin and chokes the breath in my throat. Dizzy and unable to breathe, my knees buckle and I collapse.

As I lay on my back in the dirt, a suffocating miasma squeezes the air from my lungs. Each convulsion brings images of painful betrayals.

Born of incest, product of rape.

Lucy stole Robert.

Daniela turned her back on me when I needed her most.

A tremor opens a spiderweb of cracks in the dirt road. I squeeze my eyes shut. Tears flow down my cheeks with the final blows.

Autistic daughter.

Dead son.

Suddenly, blinding white light sears my eyelids. I cover my eyes, but dazzling rays slice through my fingers. Fresh air streams into my nostrils. My lungs expand and I exhale in ragged coughing. Pressing my forearms into the road, I'm able to lift my chest and head. As I blink hard, my vision slowly returns. The whirling fog retreats to leave a circular clearing for me and Amber.

Twinkling lights swirl and dance around my daughter. Amber's eyes widen in surprise as tiny translucent balls zip up her nose and into her mouth and ears. A cluster floats between her legs to disappear into her crotch. She's lit from within, her skin translucent.

Disembodied screams and shouts fade to silence as the ground settles and the tremors stop.

My daughter moans and bends to put her hands on her knees. Oily shoulder-length hair falls in a curtain to cover her face.