Chapter 19. Dr. Betty Morton

Sunday, August 7, 2011, 5:00 p.m. Los Angeles

A white haze creeps across my eyes, the sign of an impending vision. The hospital room, Mr. Baccharis's cloak and hat hanging in the open closet, the antiseptic smell and beeping machinery fade from my awareness.

Amber McBride materializes in my mind. Flames lick at her heels as she runs across a meadow, grasses engulfed in fire.

Heart pounding, my eyes fly open.

Robert's awake. Sweat beads on his forehead. With one hand he brushes strands of grey hair from his eyes. "Amber, she's in danger!"

Nodding, I lean in to clutch his free hand.

He kisses my forehead. "That heart attack should've killed me. Your magic saved my life. Go save hers."

I squeeze his hand as I rise to stand. I don't want to leave Rob.

He releases his hand from my grip. "I'll be fine, Betty. Go."

Tears sting my eyes as I turn and leave my love in his hospital bed. With every step, fear tightens its grip around my heart. I run from the hospital. By the time I reach my Prius, I'm struggling to breathe.

The disembodied voice of my long-dead guru cuts through my scattered thoughts. Shadow Man wants you to panic.

I slide into the driver's seat and exhale until my lungs are empty. The soft tone of my guru guides me in a 15 second inhale. The next inhale is 30 seconds. By the third inhale–a full 45 seconds–my chest muscles smooth and my mind clears. Bowing my head, I bring my palms together in gratitude to my eternal Guruji.

Within 15 minutes, I'm parking across the street from Peppergate Ranch's open gate. A hot gust of wind messes my hair as I dash across the road. At the driveway's entrance, I pass through the open gate and head west for the cover of the trees.

The temperature drops ten degrees in the woodland shade. I follow an animal path along the hill until the house comes into view. Laughter reaches my ears.

I exit the oak forest and run to the stacked concrete slabs supporting the pool. The castle turret formation rises thirteen feet above my head. Following the voices, I walk east until I reach a stone staircase leading to the courtyard.

A yellow tennis ball bounces down the stairs to land at my feet. Amber's dog, Kibbles, appears at the top of the steps, tail wagging.

My heart swells as I grab the ball. "This yours?"

Sheriff Graves materializes next to the fluffy yellow dog. "Betty, how's Baccharis faring?"

I mount the steps and throw the ball across the courtyard. Kibbles zips after the yellow missile, which bounces between two teenage boys wearing t-shirts and shorts, Maxsim Kisilev, dressed impeccably in a suit despite the heat, and Cowboy Joe. One teen, a chubby Latino, tosses the ball in our direction. It lands in the pool.

Cowboy Joe dissolves and reappears by my side. One teen, a chubby Latino, tosses the ball in our direction. It lands in the pool.

Kibbles and the boys race across the grassy courtyard as I drop to my knees, reach into the water, and retrieve his toy. "Robert's doing great, considering he had a heart attack last night."

The boys cheer as Max walks to join us. He helps me to my feet.

Cowboy Joe removes his hat to fan his face. An unnecessary gesture, but old habits die hard. "Seeing his old love nearly kilt him." His eyes meet mine. "No disrespect to you, of course."

The Sheriff snorts. "Lucy was here, just this morning. Cold-hearted, that one. Didn't even inquire after Robert's well-being."

I hand the ball to the boys. "I'm Dr. Betty Morton. I'm here to see Amber."