04 • graduation

Chapter 4
Graduation

Mr. Matthews had a big smile plastered on his face as he handed me my cap and gown. He wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace and said, "I'm so proud of you Maya."

"Thank you celeri!" I smiled at him begging my happy tears to not slip out.

I got a scholarship to New York University as an Art Major. I can't believe life is being nice to me. Ever since my mom married Shawn, life had finally been starting to appreciate me. I guess that little hope resting in me never left and I'm glad it didn't.

I felt my arm getting tugged and I look at my goofy best friend.

"Oh, Peaches! We are finally graduating. I'm really proud of us." She looked at me like a proud soccer mom looking at her son that won a gold trophy.

"I'm proud of us too," I softly said and gazed into her eyes with a bittersweet feeling in my gut, "I'm just sad we're not attending the same university."

I stared at our interlocked hands and saw a tear rest on them. I felt a hand wipe off something off my face and realized I was crying.

"Boston University is three hours away from NYU, I know. But Maya, we'll make this work. Every other weekend we'll take turns to visit each other, remember?"

"But sweetie--"

"Quit the moping girls. You act like a married couple. Shortstack, I'm getting the feeling you're stealing her from me."

We heared Lucas Ha-Hurr approaching us with his cowboy boots and southern accent.

"Well, I thought I should get back what was mine, Huckleberry." I smirked at the cowboy that has my best friend under his arm.

"Lucas, back off my two wives now will ya?"

"Farkle!"

The genius couple had made their entrance.

"Hello, Gorgeous."

"Smackle!"

"Well, look at him!"

We all snickered, remembering our freshmen year.

High school set a routine for us somehow. We would all gather at the hallway in the morning and laugh about the meaningless fights between Smarkle and Rucas, as the couples liked to be called. Then, Riles and I would separate from the group to go to our own class and join them again at lunch time and wait up for Zay to finish eating. And after school, we would all go to either Riley's or Topanga's to just talk.

All of that will change.

That's the reality. We're all going to different directions to continue our life as adults to pursue our studies for the job we always wanted to do. There will be less time to communicate. Less communication leads to separation.

I really hope that reality doesn't happen at all.

An arm slid around my waist and I heard a voice whisper in my ear, "Do you need help putting on your gown?"

I turned around and saw Zay.

"Zay, you're finally here! What took you so long?"

"I got lost," He said and helped me slip on the gown.

"You got lost in school? It's been four years that you've been roaming these halls."

"Typical Zay." I heard Bucky McBoingBoing say.

"Shut up, cowboy." I laughed and hugged the boy who supported me through my heartbreak with Josh.

"You're from Texas too, Flapbutt!"

We all laughed and made our way to the gymnasium as Cory told us to get out of his classroom.

After Mr.Matthews called the batch of 2016-2020 onto stage, he finally announced, "Congratulations to the batch 2016-2020! You can all throw your hats!"

Caps and flowers were in the air and I can't describe this incredible feeling of accomplishment. I never thought that I would graduate with my average grades that I worked hard for. I look at the brunette few rows behind me and teared up a little. I ran to her and grabbed her in a tight embrace. I couldn't make it through high school without her.

We got off the stage and took our last pictures in Abigail Adams High. This was just the beggining for us.

A new beggining. A new chapter in our lives.

We all gathered in Riley's house to celebrate our graduation. As everyone was busy getting some food and talking about their future plans with relatives, I decided to cool down in Riley's room.

I took a peek at Riley's room and noticed how much she grew. She's not that little naive good girl anymore. She knows that not all things can go to plan, but she still manages to see the better side of a situation. She's realistic in the sense she doesn't expect her and Lucas to last. She believes there will be others for her. But for once, I disagree with her. I do actually believe Lucas and her will end up marrying each other after all they've been through. They build each other up, and I'm halpy for her.

"Hey, the party is out there."

I swiftly turned around and spotted the boy who said he was in it for the long game.

I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. That last time we saw each other was... a long time ago.

"It's been a while,"

"Sure has." I said with a small smile, remembering that this same dialogue has already happened.

"Well, you grew up gorgeous." He grinned at me and I couldn't help but mimick his big one.

"A lot can happen in four months, Boing."

"I can see that." He slowly approached me until I could actually notice our height difference. I merely grew an inch and he looked like a giant I had to look up to him.

"What are you doing here, Josh?"

"I can ask you the same."

"Well, I'm just reminiscing of my high school days and how much we all changed. So now, answer me, Boing." I smirked and awaited for his reply.

"I was looking for a certain dessert. I think some pancakes." He looked at me with his beautiful brown eyes.

"Did you really think you'd find them in Riley's room?"

"Well--"

"Babe?"

I hear an unknown feminine voice coming from the other side of the door. An unfamiliar face showed up in Riley's room and approached Josh.

"Hi, I'm Penelope." She noticed me and pulled me into a hug.

She was fairly tall, but not taller than Josh. Her blond long hair framed her sweet looking face so perfectly. Her smile was as bright as the sun and her eyes were blue like the ocean. How gorgeous can this girl get?

I snickered at the mention of my middle name and answered, "I'm Maya."

I looked at Josh expecting for an explanation as to why she called him babe.

He cleared his throat and said, "This is my girlfriend, Penelope."

Maya, breathe. Maybe someday would not happen at all.

"Nice meeting you, Penelope." I smiled and left.

So much for willing to play the long game...