Chapter 6- Loosing Aragorn

Start from the beginning

Théoden dismounted, hardly able to meet his niece's eyes. "Our people are safe," he answered flatly. "We have paid for it with many lives." He assisted a wounded Rider off his mount.

I descended Arod, landing smoothly on the cold stone ground. I gestured to Rayel, holding my arms out to assist her in dismounting. She turned and took my outstretched hand as I lowered her softly to the ground. She was gripping her blades and satchel with such ferocity I feared for her sanity.

She turned to me with a dying flame in her eyes. She pleaded with me to lead her somewhere quiet where we could be alone and I knew not to question her. She was not in a stable state.

"My lady," Gimli approached Éowyn, gripping his ax with everything he had left in him.

I knew where this was going and not to keep Rayel in hearing distance. "Come," I whispered, pulling her into my arms. I wrapped my arm around her waist, using the other to shoulder our weapons. "We need to get your arm taken care of."

"Lord Aragorn, where is he?" Éowyn asked in a shaky voice.

Immediately Rayel stiffened, refusing to walk any further. A deep, gut-wrenching sound came from her as she buried her face into her hands. "No," she whimpered.

"He fell," Gimli answered.

Before anything progressed, I swooped Rayel up and into my arms; carrying her bridal style up the stairs after King Théoden. I became aware of Gimli's presence as we neared the Hall; he was trying to keep his emotions stable for Rayel's sake.

"We need to find somewhere for her to rest," the Dwarf whispered.

"Yes," I answered softly.

The upper level of the city was less crowded than the lower levels, mostly consisting of guards and nobles. The stone archways didn't seem too welcoming and the cries from Rayel didn't help. We entered the Hall to be met by a woman who aged somewhere between fifty and sixty. She had graying hair and deep, sad blue eyes. "Can I help you with your friend?" she gestured to the Elleth in my arms.

"Yes," I nodded. "Is there a bed-chamber she can use? Or perhaps a place that she may rest for the time being?"

"Yes," she answered. "Follow me." She led us into the Hall and down a dark hallway to a wooden door. "It isn't much, but I hope that it's enough." She pushed open the door to reveal a simple room only containing a large bed and a small wooden chest. "This is all that is left in Helm's Deep. There aren't even enough buildings to house this amount of people."

"It's perfect, thank you," I told her honestly, laying Rayel's broken body on the bed. She had fallen asleep, looking more beautiful than ever. Her long, auburn hair was mussed, and her lips were cracked and bleeding.

It pained me to see her this way.

"Is there anything else you need?" the woman asked.

"A needle and thread would be perfect, thank you."

The woman took notice of Rayel's wounds and hurried off.

"What are we goin' to do, laddie?" Gimli asked quietly. "She's lost her brother."

"I don't know, Gimli," I answered, tracing her jaw with my fingertips. "I've never seen her like this..." I took Aragorn's necklace from my pouch and slipped the chain over her head, letting it fall next to her near-identical necklace.

The woman returned with the needle, thread, a few rags and a bottle of some alcoholic liquid in a bottle. "I hope this helps... I'll be caring for the other injured if you need me." After she had gone, I turned to Gimli with regretful eyes.