She nuzzled into me. “Good.”

                I grabbed my phone and sent Jan a text saying that I’d be at her house soon. She seemed confused, but didn’t ask questions, which I was thankful for.

                An hour later I was knocking on Jan’s door.

                She opened it up and leaned against the doorframe. “What do you need, Dev?”

                “You’re help. Sara thinks we went to the shop, that I’m helping you with a car. I need you to tell her that if she asks.”

                “Why? Dev, don’t screw this up; you’ve got something real good here. Don’t screw it up for yourself.”

                I couldn’t help but smile. “I don’t think I’ll screw it up.”

                “What are you doing?” She asked skeptically.

                “The only thing I can imagine myself doing. I’m going to ask her to marry me.”

                Jan didn’t say anything for the longest time, she just stared at me, her face showing no emotion. Finally, she said, “You haven’t known her long.”

                “I know.”

                “You just found out you love her.”

                “I know.”

                “You didn’t even want to get married in your life a few months ago. Hell, a few weeks ago.”

                “I know.” My smile only seemed to get bigger.

                “Why did you change your mind?” She asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

                “I can’t see myself waking up without her. I can’t think of a day where I don’t see her smile. Five years from now, fifteen years from now, even when I’m old and gray and am sitting in a rocking chair on my patio, I want Sara by my side. I want her hand in mine and I want to see her blush and take me by surprise. She’s everything I want and so much more. I’ve loved her for longer than I’ve know. I feel like I’ve always known her, cliché, I know, but true. I can barely remember a day where I thought of a woman who wasn’t her. She is what I want Jan. Sara is all I want in a girl, and I’m going to do everything I can to keep her.”

                “You can wait to do this you know, it doesn’t need to be today.”

                “I know, and I’m going to wait to ask, but…I need you to support me in this Jan. You would be my best man, so I need you to say that you agree. I want to know that you think I’m doing the right thing.” I mumbled.

                She smiled. “I think you’re an idiot. You were always behind, always waiting and overanalyzing and trying so hard to not believe in love and good things. And now you’re ahead, asking her to marry you so soon. I don’t think you’re wrong though. Any marriage can end at the drop of a hat, just like any relationship. Do you really think that you guys can make it?”

                I didn’t even hesitate. “Yes.”

                “Then of course I support you. Now, you didn’t come here just to ask my permission, you don’t need me for that, you need her parents’, so what do you need?” Jan gestured for me to come inside.