The irony was evident and I just stared, knowing better. Julia stepped back, running her hands over her skirt awkwardly as she realized what she just did.

“I think it’s time for you to go Miss Trips.” Nana’s voice was flat and the warning obvious; get out before I throw you out.

Julia glared at me one more time and nodded, slipping out the back door. It took seconds before Jess had me in a hug, Nana right behind her. A few minutes later we were all sitting around the table with a fresh coffee.

“So that’s..”

“Yup”

“And that means…”

“Yup”

“Shit”

“Yup”

Jess sipped her coffee and Nana still had no idea what was going on.

“That was helpful girls”

 “Sorry Nan, that’s Julia. Beaus ex and the series is all about them” I admitted, the truth hard to hear. Just how much was fiction? Clearly Julia had creative control.

“Really? Maybe I will try reading it again!”

Jess and I looked at her in horror and she laughed uncomfortably.

“Just kidding.”

“I need to talk to Beau.”

They both nodded and I got my phone, heading outside to call him.

He didn’t answer so I sent him a message asking him to call me, but I already knew he wasn’t going to. He was going to have to deal with something and that wasn’t something he did well.

“Hey Bec, what’s up?” John answered his work number and it didn’t surprise me he was at his desk.

“I need you to book me the next flight back to LA”

“Ah why? What’s going on?”

“I need to see Beau, like now. I just met your friend Julia.”

“Really? How?”

He sounded confused and I didn’t hear any typing going on.

“You better be online booking my flight while you’re talking!”

“Yeah ok, what’s going on?”

“Did you know John? Did you know she was the author of Lyrics to my Heart?”