Twelve.

It was nearly four by the time we all got out and I avoided talking to Andrew again. John said goodbye to De Lucca and we finally had our freedom. Saturday night in New York was something Jess and I had wanted to do since we were old enough to drink. So much had happened since I saw her yesterday morning; I wished she could be here with us too.

“Are you feeling up to getting some food? We don’t have to go out tonight if you’re not well. You still look like shit.” I slapped Johns arm playfully as we walked through the lobby, not appreciating the comment.

“I’m fine, whatever it was is out of my system now.” It was another lie, Beau was and truly taking over my mind and even thinking about him left me dealing with butterflies. “Starving though.”

“You ate nearly all the muffins and the majority of the fruit. Where do you put it?” I rolled my eyes, but laughed with him.

“Bec, John!” The easy to identify Irish accent echoed through the lobby and we stopped our walk to the car.

“Hey man,” John greeted Sparky in one of those man hugs before bumping fists, “What are you doing here?”

Sparky and I quickly hugged, but he suddenly looked more uncomfortable than anything else. “Got the weekend off remember, my parents are in town.”

“Oh right, I remember now. We’re going out for drinks later, if you can escape come with us? You don’t mind do you Bec?” John looked at me hopefully and now I really did wish Jess was here.

“Not at all” Then again, if I bailed, John would have someone to go out with and I could stay in. Right on cue, my phone beeped and while the pair talked I had to try to stop grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Message from Beau: Plans for tonight? I know you don’t fly out till tomorrow afternoon.

Are you stalking me now Beau?

I may have seen it on your desk in the hotel this morning.

John is taking me out to that bar De Lucca owns.

What if I happened to turn up and make your party of two into a three?

It’ll be a four, Sparky just beat you to it.

“Bec? Hello?” John waved his hand in front of my face and I quickly put my phone away.

“Sorry, it was Jess.” I instantly hated the fact I lied to him again.

“Can I ask you something, privately?” Sparky asked nervously, and looking at John he nodded at me looking just as nervous.

“Ah sure, should we go back to the hotel?” By now I had worked out the majority of people De Lucca brings in were staying at our hotel as he had an agreement with the owner and Sparky still chose to stay there as he was well known amongst the staff too.

“Yup” They both muttered, grabbing an arm I was practically dragged to the car.

“What’s going on?” I was getting nervous because of them and they kept silent the whole way up to John’s room, not giving me any sign on what was happening. Sitting on the bed I got my phone out as it buzzed again while the pair of them seemed to be having some kind of silent conversation by the window.

Message from Beau: I don’t mind crashing, I am a rock star after all.

“Bec, Sparky has something he wants to ask you.”

“So you said. What is it?”

“My parents are in town and I have to have dinner with them tonight. The thing is, they’re really full on about me settling down, getting married and all that.” He paused and I nodded, starting to worry where this was going. We got along really well, he was quickly becoming one of my closest friends since we saw each other so much every day and I got nervous he was about to ruin that friendship. “Will you come to dinner and act as my date?”