Family Friend

Back at the house I began unpacking the seemingly never ending bags from the mall when I heard crashing and yells from upstairs. My head tried to tell my body it was non of my business but curiosity took lead and moved my feet to the living room.

I glanced around the corner to see all the boys plus one picking up a broken vase. I leaned against the wall now entertained by their ignorance. The vase had broken cleanly in two and would be easy to fix. I softly cleared my throat causing everyone in the room to jump most throwing their hands over their heart when they saw it was me.

"Cassie please don't tell our mom" Sam pleaded. I sighed but agreed seeing as he had been nothing but nice. "Where's the super glue?"

"How can you do that so well?" Adam questioned as the rest, including the stranger, gaped at the perfect vase back to where it had been. "In my house you had to know how to hide these things or the punishments a lot worse then no video games" I told them looking towards the ceiling so the unshed tears rolled back down. "What does she mean by that, and who is this chick" the stranger asked.

Sam introduced us, me as his foster sister, and him as the family friend Jason. He looked like a polar opposite of the Jacob boys. Dark hair that looked nearly black with these eyes a intense brown speckled with little flakes of gold. Though he did have one thing in common with the rest of the boys, he was huge. The boy most be at least 6'3" and while I was tall at 5'10" he towered over me and was easily taller then the rest of the people in the house. "So Cassie how long are you gonna be here" he asked his voice sweet a crisp sound. "Till they kick me out or my parents want me back" I told him. I noted the contrast in our voices his was uplifting and made people smile while mine was gravely and dark. He looked shocked, "your parents are alive?" "Prison, this isn't my first foster home". I left then deciding to go back to unpacking. I couldn't answer his questions, I doubted even the Jacobs knew why my parents were in jail.

I held my cast to my chest as I climbed down the stairs. A reminder of what happened, a reminder of why I can't stay here.