Lose Hope

I was still exercising when Batman came in again. Leg up, down, side, side, jump, squat, jump, and - "looks like I was wrong." I stopped. Spun to face the dark figure, pigtails spinning around with me. 

"What do you mean?" I demanded, shifting my weight onto one hip and peering at him through almost closed eyes, belt jingling. I knew what he meant. But he was wrong. He was wrong. 

"He's not coming for you." I clenched my teeth.

"That's what you think." 

"Well, we'll see anyway. I'm, uh, transferring you. Seeing as he doesn't want you. You'll be staying with a few of his...friends." He said that last part slowly, unsurely, and it scared me more than I wanted it to. The Joker didn't have many friends. And the few that he did, Batman didn't know of. Which meant that the people I was being handed over to were not going to be nice. 

"Whatever." I frowned and slumped against the wall, blowing warm air out of my mouth in a puff of white. I wasn't going to just be handed over. I was going to fight. Maybe all this exercise was just one huge warm up. Batman left, closing and locking the door behind him.

_________________________________________

"I think she's in one of the mines down beside the river. It's about 10 miles out. One of ours saw his car heading down that way, maybe saw her in the passenger seat but he's not sure."

The joker laughed "Not sureeeee, huh? If he's right, he lives, if he's not, he dies. Isn't that just...hilarious...!!!!" The Joker was laughing again, through his migraine. Harley was causing him so much stress. Why was he doing all this for her anyway? He didn't need her. Oh well, he thought, she's just a toy of mine. Did he really believe that? He had to.