Chapter 17: Confrontation

"No matter what the people say. Even when it hurts, it'll be okay. And I pray that you'll never have a rainy day. And no matter what the people say, in the darkest hours, I'll help light your way. This is what a mother prays."

- Mother's Prayer by K. Michelle

**********

February 4th Tre proposed to Dylan while she was giving birth to their beautiful firstborn child, A'Syria Janelle Carter.

It was a beautiful day and, of course, Dylan agreed to marry Trevanté. She wanted to kill him for asking her while she was in pain, but she couldn't bring herself to say no to the love of her life.

When they got home later that week Dylan felt more refreshed than ever. She promised herself that she wouldn't let her daughter's life be like hers was. Her daughter would be better than her and she was okay with that. She didn't want that life for A'Syria.

When the house phone rung Dylan furrowed her eyebrows before going for it. "I got it," Tre said and snatched it off the hook. "Hello?" he said and after awhile he looked over at Dylan. "It's for you," he announced and grabbed their daughter's car-seat as he handed her the phone.

"Hello?" she asked in confusion.

"Hi, baby girl," the voice said and she froze in shock.

"Dad?" she squeaked.

"Yea, you don't remember your old man?"

"I... Wow..." she breathed.

"I've been calling your house number for three days straight."

She looked towards the living room where her child and fiancée were. "I've been... busy," she said.

"Oh... Well, I was calling to ask you if you'd like to come visit me..." he said and she gaped at the phone.

"Wh-What?" she asked in disbelief.

"I was wondering--" she cut him off.

"I know what you said but... w-why? Why at this moment in my life?"

"I need to see you. I left before you were born and I've only saw you a couple of times."

"I don't know, dad..." she groaned.

"Please, Dylan. You're probably all grown up now."

"Dad, I'm eighteen. Of course I'm all grown now," she said and he sighed.

"Dylan..." he began and she shook her head.

"Okay, dad. Okay. I will but I'm gonna' bring another person with me..."

"Who is that other person?" he asked curiously.

"My fiancée," she said quickly before hanging up. She didn't know how he'd take the news, but he'd have to accept it either way.

-

It took Dylan two weeks to agree to her father's offer, but when she did she ended up going to visit him with Tre in tow.

"Jakes!" a guard yelled and they were escorted to a metal, circular table.

Dylan and Tre sat down and interlocked hands as they both nervously averted their eyes around the room. There were people everywhere. Crying, hugging, and kissing. They were happy to finally be reunited with their loved ones. It was a heart-breaking sight.

Dylan didn't understand how her father could even get visitors... period. Considering he was at the top of the 10 most wanted killers in the entire world.