Guilt

Harley

"I'm her twin sister." The girl croaked as she shivered. I never even knew Mariana had a sibling, a twin at that.

I'm so ignorant. I bent down and pulled my phone off the grass and dialed emergency services.

"What're you doing" the girl whispered loudly.

"Getting you to the hospital." I hissed. She shook her head.

"My father can't find out about this." She said.

"Do you want to die by hypothermia." I replied getting frustrated.

But I took a deep breath. Inhale. "I'm trying to help you." Exhale.

"Now- please let me." I forced out.

"B-" the girl cut herself off. "Okay." She finished.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Harley, Harley Ricotta." I said, surprising myself with my ease. "Y-yours?" I asked.

I was unfamiliar with caring about other people's feelings, so this concept, was different.

"Amarathine Heiser."

///\\\///\\\

The ambulance came and took her away. It was as if the encounter was just sinking in.

Mariana, Mariana, Mariana.

Her name echoed throughout my head with a stronger emphasis each time I heard it.

All I could think about was her face. And then guilt invaded my chest and it ached. It was pounding at my doorstep, ringing my doorbell, it compelled me into opening my door. Then it would rob me.

It robbed me of my happiness, ignorance, my bliss, everything.

All I could picture of myself is a cold black liquid invading my brain and slowly flooding my body, until I was numb.

I'm guilty.

I deserve to feel that guilt.