James had even accepted Al being in Slytherin and being friends with Malfoy and Zabini. 

"Best mates," Lucas had huffed at James. "Don't try to undermine our importance."

"How does your fat head fit through doors?" Al returned, laughing as Scorpius just rolled his eyes at the two.

Our group from the very first day at Hogwarts was still intact, too. We had all become closer than what any of us thought we would. Nia and Emily quickly became my best friends, people I could say and do anything with. They were both opposites in so many ways, with myself included, but it worked. Our group worked. We didn't go anywhere without anyone else. We belonged together (even Nia and Malfoy, though you will never get them to admit it). 

"Don't say that," Nia had hissed. "People might hear you."

"Hear what? That you don't actually hate him?"

"I have a reputation to maintain," she huffed at me before we took our seats at the Gryffindor table. It was our last lunch in the Great Hall as First Years. In a few hours we would climb on to carriages and part from Hogwarts for summer holidays. 

"Look at you, Rosie," said Dominique when I sat by her side. "Aunt Hermione is going to be shocked when she sees you. You've grown at least four inches."

I turned away from Emily laughing at whatever story James and Freddie were telling her. I was grinning at Dominique, about to agree that Dad's genes were dominate, but Liam let out a loud hiss. I found Nia smacking him beside the head.

"Oi," said Freddie, "what happened?"

Oh, it was a mistake. Freddie must have seen that, too, because he blanched when Nia narrowed her blue eyes at him. 

"All of you happened," she snarled, pointing a finger at him and James. 

"What did we do?" James returned, seemingly oblivious, but we all knew better. He had the mischievous glint in his eyes again.

"I don't know which one of you suggested it, but Liam thought it was a brilliant idea to hover Mrs. Norris over the Astronomy Tower."

I frowned now. "Liam," I began, "don't tell me you really did mess with that man's cat."

Liam gave us a sheepish grin. "How was I supposed to know the cat didn't know how to swim? She's been alive for a hundred years. She should've picked up a thing or two."

"Swim?" Emily gasped. "I thought you had her over the Astronomy Tower?"

"She started off there," Liam mumbled.

"What do you mean?" I demanded.

"He means," interjected Scorpius Malfoy, flashing those silver eyes like bursts of moonlight, Al and Lucas right behind him, "Molly had to stun a group of mere-people that were dragging Mrs. Norris down."

"I thought she could swim!" exclaimed Liam at the people gaping at him. "I can't be held responsible for that!"

Al snorted. "You're lucky Filch panicked and dived in for the blasted cat. It gave you a chance to run for it."

"You're a menace, Greengrass," said Lucas with a smirk.

"I can drink to that," said Dominique, raising her glass of Pumpkin Juice.

"Shit, Liam," Freddie sighed, shaking his head.

"We said levitate her over the tower, not drown her!" James shouted. "Now Filch will be coming after us, you bloody Cat Slayer!"

I'm surrounded by idiots.

X