Chapter 13

Naruto followed Shikamaru as they headed to the Nara Compound, ignoring the villagers' stares. Honestly, didn't they have anything better to do instead of glaring at him? Seriously, it's like they had no jobs- or life for that matter.

'They need to back off,' Kurama and Edward growled together, their voices sounding more annoyed than angry, seeing as the villagers hadn't enacted violence yet.

Cool it, Naruto snapped to them both internally, getting a bit fed up with their random comments. There's no helping it so shut up and focus on what we're doing.

'You mean dinner with the Naras?' Edward asked and Naruto got a vague feeling that he was tilting his head. 'You have nothing to worry about, Otouto. They're the smartest people in this village. They know you're not a washed up demon in disguise.'

'Hey! I take offence to that!'

'Good. Any advice you want to give our little brother, o' wise and powerful kitsune?'

'Don't sweat the small stuff, Naru-chan,' Kurama seemed to be grinning as he spoke. 'If it does turn out they were jerks, we'll take care of them for you in and easy.'

'Yeah, pretty much. Though, I doubt that'll happen. I mean, I'm pretty sure Shikamaru knows and he doesn't judge you.'

How would Shikamaru know? Naruto asked, feeling a bit of anxiety enter him.

'Cool your jets, Sippy. Don't have a coronary on me now. He's a Nara. Nara's are smart. He probably made the connection long time ago. No doubt he saw you and the villagers interact and made his theory- and most likely a correct one.'

Naruto sent said Nara a small glance, seeing the ease he had when walking next to him. He didn't seem afraid, let alone give off that he knew that the Uzumaki is a demon container. In fact, Shikamaru almost seemed relaxed even more than usual, safe even. It was hard to explain but it was like the brunette trusted him.

"We're here," Shikamaru informed, his lazy drawl breaking the blonde from his thoughts.

"Oh," Naruto practically squeaked, looking at the large gates of the Nara Compound.

'Chill. Deep breaths. We're with you.'

Despite his brother's words, Naruto really wished he hadn't sent Alphonse shopping. The suit of armour gave him a sense of security his brothers were not able to provide.

Shikamaru and Naruto walked towards the home, the Uzumaki wringing his hands together nervously. The blonde looked ready to bolt but a hand in his shoulder kept him in place. The young Nara offered him a small smile before opening the door, "Kaa-san, I'm back and I brought my friend!"

"Come to the kitchen!" Yoshino replied, "My hands are wet right now!"

Shikamaru sighed and toed off his shoes, placing them under s tanks by the door, and Naruto did the same. The two genin made their way to the woman just as she was wiping her hands on a towel. She beamed at them when she saw the two, "Hello, you must be Naruto-kun. My name's Yoshino."

"It's nice to meet you, Yoshino-sama," The Uzumaki said with a small smile.

"Oh, Honey, Yoshino's fine," She looked over at a pot in her stove and stirred the contents lightly. "I heard you like ramen so I made you some."

"Thank you," Naruto grinned. "You didn't have to."

"I wanted to. Now, sit down and relax," She motioned to the dining table. "Shika, go get your troublesome father."

Shikamaru grumbled but did as told, walking off to another room. Soon,me came back with Shikaku in tow. His father was grumbling about troublesome woman ruining his shoji games until he saw his wife's death glare, "Hey, wow, that looks good."

"Tou-san," Shikamaru gestured to Naruto. "This is Naruto Uzumaki."

"It's nice to meet you, Naruto-kun," The Jounin Commander smiled, nodding to the bow, immediately recognising him as the holder of the Kyuubi.

"Thank you for having me."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Soon, it was like Naruto was part of the family all along. He was helping Yoshino finish cooking, all while joking with Shikamaru and discussing different strategies with Shikaku (though the Uzumaki didn't notice). The Nara Head was impressed with the Uzumaki's knowledge and wondered how anyone could miss this gem. By all means, with strategy alone, he should be a jounin.

After dinner, Yoshino made sure the boy had some leftovers to take home and Shikaku told him that he could come by any time. Shikamaru walked him out, giving him a look that said 'See? Nothing to worry about.'

"That was fun," Naruto grinned before heading off to his apartment.

'Agreed.'

"You're back," Alphonse greeted when Naruto opened the door to his apartment. "Did you have fun?"

"Mmhm," Naruto nodded with a smile. "They're very nice."

'Told you. The Nara Clan is my favourite clan ever.'

The Uzumaki nodded and quickly changed closed, climbing into bed, "Night, guys."

'Night, Otouto.'

'Good night, Kit.'