Chapter 9- A New Discovery

John's POV:

A week had passed since the blood test incident, so Sherlock now knew the drug was well out of Riley's system. I had tried to move on from what Sherlock said and he also contributed to that by being peculiarly nice to me...

We were all sat in the living room, Riley on the sofa reading, me watching TV in my chair and Sherlock in his Mind Palace opposite me. Suddenly Sherlock's phone began to ring.

"Sherlock" I prompted with no reply.

"Sherlock?"

"Sherlock!" I shouted, however the man sat there as if nothing was happening. With a sigh I got up and answered it for him.

"Hello, Sherlock's phone"

"Oh hey John it's me, Greg"

"Oh hi Greg. Is everything alright?"

"Well erm yeah... We've had another incident at the warehouse"

All of a sudden Sherlock bounded up, "We'll be there in ten"

"You get that?" I asked Lestrade, rolling my eyes and grabbing my coat.

"Yup, see you John"

I grabbed my own phone from off the table and headed for the door.

"Wait what's going on?" Asked a puzzled Riley.

"Oh, er we're heading to the warehouse, won't be long" I replied walking briskly out the door so as not to lose Sherlock.

"Mrs. Hudson!" I shouted as I ran down the stairs, "take care of Riley!"

I shut the door firmly behind me and clambered into the cab after the detective and off we went...

*     *     *

Sherlock's POV:

Exiting the taxi, I was faced with the looming building once again. I stalked over to where Lestrade and his team had set up and prepared myself for more of Anderson's childish insults.

"Freak" Donovan greeted me, lifting the tape for both me and my blogger. I nodded briefly and carried okay walking.

"I hate it when she calls you that" John commented with clenched fists.

"Why?"

"Well I'd like to see her try and do what you do everyday"

I looked at him out the corner of my eye but decided not to comment.

"Ah gentlemen" said Lestrade once he noticed us arrive, "this one is interesting... A man was found dead early this morning just outside the door we broke down when we found Riley. Same guy who reported the noises leading us to her spotted him when he got back from work this time after doing an unexpected night shift."

"I see"

"We've not found much but I'm hoping you can help with that"

I gave him a knowing glance before walking up to the body.

I walked around the body several times, looking closely to find what I needed before standing up again and pacing around some more. When I stopped I turned to find John's expecting face staring back at me.

"So?" He said.

"Do you care to have a look Dr. Watson?"

He nodded and cleared his throat, taking off his gloves and walking closer to the victim.

"Erm... Forty to forty five year old male. Cause of death... A blow to the head and abdomen by a blunt object... Quite a large object by the looks of the bruising around the areas... Hit to the abdomen caused severe internal bleeding which must have lead to a pretty slow and painful death."

"Good..." I encouraged

"Also... Seems like an attempted asphyxiation before being hit by the object..."

I hummed in response to urge him to carry on.

"Wait... A slow and painful death, yes but the blow to the head would have knocked him out meaning... Meaning the killer wanted it to be painless for him? Or am I over analysing again?" He asked me.

"No, no that's very good. Is that all?"

He stared at the body a short while longer. "Yep that's all I've got I think" he concluded

"Very well spotted doctor" I complimented, watching a slight blush creep up John's face.

"You were right. There was an attempted asphyxiation before the victim was killed, which failed, meaning the murderer wasn't very strong; especially in their upper body.
The killer knocking him out also suggests some form of sentiment towards the victim on the killers behalf.
Both of these factors lead to the high probability of the murderer being a woman, as well as the fact that the bruises from the attempted asphyxiation are from smaller hands than a man would have.

Also the fly larvae residing on the body tell us he has been dead roughly three to four days. This however does not fit the description you gave us, Detective Inspector, for the man who found him passes this spot everyday and so would have noticed him earlier if he was here. This therefore means someone killed this man and planted him here after the event, also explaining why you're team couldn't find much at the scene.

The dirt on the victims shirt suggests he was dragged here on his front and then turned over once in place; this is also supported by the scuff marks on the front of his shoes."

I paused for breath and glanced over at John. A look of sheer astonishment was painted on his features and his mouth was agape.

"Close your mouth John, you are not a codfish" I quoted with a small smirk and he shut his mouth looking rather embarrassed.

"Wait so how do we trace the killer then?" Lestrade asked, clearly as dumbfounded as John.

"Well first we need to take the victims shoes to the lab, to see where the most recent dirt came from. Then we need to try and identify the body. From there we can try and work out where he was killed which will hopefully bring us one step closer to the killer." I decided, walking past the D.I. and calling a cab from the road.

"Right okay then..." Mumbled Lestrade, walking off to inform his team of the next step.

"Sherlock?" John asked, catching up with me.
"Do you think the killer will be the same person who kidnapped Riley?" He said hopefully.

"I do hope so John, or this case just got a whole lot more complicated..."

A/N

Strange chapter I guess, but I actually really enjoyed writing this one so yey me haha!

Please vote and comment with suggestions or support etc!!

Thank you!