shared pains

(Time skip- Liechtenstein.)

We had to go back to Switz's place cause Mr.America had called an emergency world meeting in two days and we had to get ready. I wish he wouldn't call on such short notice, but he was pretty nice so it was ok.

I was packing my stuff for the trip to the host city of the meeting in America when I heard arguing downstairs.

Mr.Austria must be here. I wish bruder and him wouldn't argue so much.

There was a short silence and then I heard the door slam. Switzerland ran up the stairs and into his room. He seemed like he wanted to be alone, and he was already all packed, so I let him be. They used to get along so well, or at least that's what I heard. But ever since Austria and Ms.Hungary built their empire, bruder and Mr.Austria have been at odds. I remember one night I walked downstairs to find Switz kneeling by the fire with his head hung low. It turned out he was crying, and I could smell burning paper and ink. I looked in the ashes the next morning and found letters and cut up photographs. I decided to not talk about Mr.Austria around Switzerland because it made him so uncomfortable. So I pretended to forget those days when they smiled because that was the only way I wouldn't talk about that time. For my brother, it was summer all year, now it's just a lonely winter. I wonder if Natalya is going through the same thing with her family. She did say her brother, Mr.Russia, had disowned her. I couldn't imagine how it felt to have your older brother tell you he will never love you. And her sister babies her to no end apparently. That can't be nice.

After Switzerland had been in his room for about two hours we had to go to the airport, so I knocked on his door. He opened and glared for a second, then softened. The whites of his eyes were red from what was probably crying. He had definitely run his fingers through his hair a lot because it was knotted and messy.

"You're a mess Vash," I said, eyebrows furrowing in concern.
"I'm fine Emy. What did you need?" He asked, rubbing his palms against his eyelids.
"We have to get going bruder."

He nodded and grabbed our luggage. I watched him walk on slightly shaky legs as he loaded the car. My boss walked up to hug goodbye and whispered,
"What happened to him?"
I answered with a sad shrug and said, "past troubles, coming back for a visit. I suppose." And got into the car.