Chapter 2

The message travels quickly down the pod: a school is found! The usual formation is started. They loosely surround the fish, and then one by one, a single dolphin will dart into the school, picking off fish.

It's my turn. I rush into the school, grabbing a fish in each hand. I circle around, back to Vesi. He bobs his head and laughs in his special dolphin squeal. He points his nose at my hands to indicate what's so funny. I look down and have to laugh too. The fish are flapping frantically, making my arms circle around like I'm trying to fly.

I stick my tongue out at Vesi and settle down onto a rock. A smaller rock quickly and painlessly ends both lives. I hate that part. Oh well, it's done now. I pull all the scales off slowly, while I watch the dolphins finish the job. We end about the same time, and I finally gulp down the scaleless fish. Yum, salmon, my favorite.

Vesi noses my back. "You weird. No scales. Take long time." he clicks. I roll my eyes. Dolphins.

This trip back is more fun. Vesi suggests we play the dolphin's version of tag, called Shark 'N Fish. "You shark!" He squeals and takes off towards the reef. We dart in between the columns, careful not to bump into the sharp edges.

Vesi is fast, but I'm faster. He always chooses to get a head start, so he can hide somewhere. I rounded a corner and caught the tip of a dolphin fluke disappearing into a cave. I grin and slowly creep up onto the cave, trying to give Vesi a false sense of security.

"Got you!" I shout, throwing my arms around Vesi's slippery body. He squeaks in surprise, then bobs his head up in down in dolphin laughter.

"Ok you win," he relents.