-1

AGE 15 & AGE 14

    "Harry, do you ever think about the future?" The fifteen year old asked the younger boy who was standing next to him.

    The two were standing side by side in the sand on a small lake in the middle of nowhere, or so it felt like. With nothing surrounding the cabin they were staying in except trees and more trees, they felt isolated, but glad to have each other. The older boy's stare landed on the younger as he pivoted to face him, rocking on his heels as he did so. There was something about the younger boy that captivated him.

   Maybe it was the way he always managed to look at ease without even trying to do so, without a care in the world. Maybe it was the feeling that overtook the older boy when their eyes held each others longer than needed. Louis always felt understood and heard when he glanced into those emerald eyes. Or maybe it was just the way the two spoke to each other, like they have known each other for a hundred years instead of just ten.

   "All the time." Harry quietly responded. His gaze returned back to the lake, looking past it, reflecting.

   Louis' question struck a small nerve in Harry. Of course he thought about the future. In every fantasy of his future, Louis was in it. He was there supporting him every step of the way, no matter what happened or where he went. Harry couldn't imagine it any other way. It was the two of them until the end, best friends forever.

   Not that his life depended on the older boy. They were just close enough that he didn't know what he would do without Louis giving him help on daily problems. The two boys were nearly inseparable from each other. Even at the young age of five and four, when the two boys met, they did everything together on the school playground. They would share toys and play on the swings together. Even though Louis was in the grade above Harry, he always made time for the younger one. The only in their lives were the other, a source to rely on when needed. 

    "What kind of things about the future do you think about?" Louis asked, his sudden interest making Harry aware he had his full attention. The question shouldn't have made him as nervous as it did. It was just a question. But he couldn't help but feel weighed down by it, as it feeling the value that it had and the impact his answer would have.

    Louis watched as he shrugged, his oak brown curls falling into a different position than the previous moment. The unruly hair gaining shadows as the sun started to set behind the trees that surrounded the lake. The curls were already in another position then the moment before.

    Harry didn't really know how to respond to the question asked; he didn't know the right thing to say. There were many things he thought about, but would Louis want to know them all? Would he want to know the light and dark thoughts about the future that crept through Harry's mind everyday?

    "I guess the usual for me. Will I go to college? What will I be when I get older? Will I get married and if I do to whom? Will I have kids? Do my parents leave me while I am young?" Harry paused his train of thoughts for a moment.

    How is he going to say the next few without sounding like he needs Louis in his life? He didn't want to creep Louis out even though he was almost sure that was impossible. The two boys have been through everything possible together, most unnamable.

   "Will the people I have now in my life still be there? Am I happy with the life I live?" Harry finished slowly, suddenly feeling much older than his actual age. He shouldn't be this worried about his life. He should be enjoying the years ahead of him and getting into trouble. 

   He turned his head to catch Louis already looking at him. As his eyes reached the others, Harry's heart skipped a beat at the intensity that radiated out of Louis and his stare. Harry quickly turned away, scared that Louis would decipher his words. How his words were directed towards him mainly. His heart started to race faster as his mind went into over drive. Not that it would be hard to do so, it was a pretty direct statement, but the unknown that was beneath was what made his heart beat louder in his ears. 

   He knew that if he looked back into Louis' eyes he would be a dead give away. It would be obvious how the older boy affected him. How Louis made Harry nervous and self aware with less than a glance at him. How a smile could brighten his whole day. 

    Harry was getting older and realizing a lot more than he did when he was younger. He knew that he had developed feelings for his best friends, a small childish crush. He was too scared about losing him if he tried anything to see if the older boy felt the same. Harry was certain his feelings were one sided and he didn't want to risk a great friendship for his own selfish wants.

    Louis wasn't sure if he did catch the true meaning or not. All he was sure about was that Harry thought they weren't going to be friends in the future. Louis was positive that wasn't going to happen. He would make sure that they were, no matter what. He promised himself that right there that night. They were like two peas in a pod. Neither could imagine life without the other.

   "Harry-" Louis started but was immediately interrupted by Harry and his pleas to return home because it was starting to get dark. Both knew that he wasn't a fan of the dark. All those scary movies their parents told them not to watch set a good foundation for paranoia. 

   Louis' heart sank at the thought of the younger boy being upset about his future. Seeing Harry upset was like hurting a dog or making your mother cry. It was upsetting and hard to watch because of how sad it was. It crushed Louis to know he was sad and thought about losing each other constantly.

    Louis walked behind the younger boy who was speeding into the lake house. Louis' feet dragged on the ground as he made his way into the house. All Louis has to do now is keep in contact with him for the rest of their lives to make sure they don't grow apart. Easy said and done. 

   Little did the two boys knew that their friendship would hit a crossed path and they would have to choose the roads they wanted to travel down, whether it was with or without the other.

>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<

Hi everyone, 

Here's a new story I have coming soon. I hope you all like the idea so far, it's still in the works so please be patient and let me know what you think!

Stay lovely

-pastyprincess