in which the mother takes her words back

"Hello?"

"Rosemary, I'm glad you picked up. I'd like to remind you of the Beckett Family Annual Barbecue."

"You disowned Ginger and me, why would I attend your stupid barbecue?"

"I-I do not know what came over me, darling. I love my children very much and my grandchildren are my world. Please come, bring your sister too."

I'm silent for a moment. "All right, I'll come for a little bit."

➖✖➖

Family barbecues are always semi formal. No matter what my crazy mother has to say, she expects everyone to come looking good.

I slip into a pair of skinny jeans and a flowy top, only tucked into my pants in the front. A pair of Louis Vuitton heels on my feet and my makeup light put my look together. My parents don't know about my successful insemination but there's no doubt that by the time I get there everyone will know.

Prim runs into my bedroom with a pair of black leggings in hand. "Help."

I bend down to her level and help her pull one leg at a time through the tight fabric. Her pink shirt flows down to the middle of her thighs with a gold necklace to make it seem dressier. She runs off to get her Uggs. Her favorite pair of shoes are definitely her chestnut brown Uggs. Her brown hair is in beach curls, courtesy of me.

Basil pokes his head through my doorway. "Am I dressed okay?" He steps into my bedroom with dark jeans, a button up shirt, the sleeves rolled to right under his elbows, and his Timberlands.

I smile and ruffle his bedhead. "Yeah, you're fine." He stalks off, trying to fix his hair. He's going to be a heartbreaker, both of my kids are. Let's hope the third won't need me to beat potential boyfriends or girlfriends away too.

Prim comes back into my bedroom with her boots on and her makeup phone. "Let's gooo!"

With a chuckle I pull her into my arms, call Basil, and unlock the Range Rover.

➖✖➖

"Are you a lesbian?" I swirl around and crash into my Aunt Sonia. Her very dark eyebrow raises. "Three children, no husband, you don't even date! Maybe you're a closeted homosexual."

"If I ever come to the epiphany that I'm a lesbian I'll call you."

Prim runs around my legs as I sip on my orange juice. Been craving the drink all day, Paris made Clover run out and get some since Mother only drinks organic drinks and she hates oranges.

Basil sits and chats animatedly with James and Frederick. I think sometimes they forget they're cousins and are themselves as just a tight nit group of friends. It's nice to know he will always have them to lean on when he doesn't want to talk to me about something.

"Rosemary!" Mother barrels through the crowd to pull me into her arms. "Oh, darling, you're glowing!" She hugs me tighter then moves onto Ginger, who's sporting a beautiful baby bump, proof my neice is inside her. "Ginger, pregnancy seems to suit you!"

"Omg, Mother, what do you want?" Ginger groans, downing more potato chips and french onion dip. My sister's brown eyes roll at the slacked jaw Mother has. "Out with it! Swollen feet!"

"I'm leaving your father."

What a family reunion, am I right or am I right?