Same Time Tomorrow? Chapter Two

I picked up the book, making sure not to cover the title and held it out in front of me. I wasn’t going to read it, I’d read it four times already. I coughed once, hoping he would look up, he didn’t. Then I coughed louder twice, still nothing. Then again three times, nada.  

Maybe he knew I was trying to get his attention. Maybe he wasn’t looking up just to spite me. Loser, I thought. All I wanted him to do was look up to see the book, was it really that hard of a thing to ask? Couldn’t he just humor me and look up for a lousy second?

In an act of desperation, I slowly began to nudge the ceramic plate closer and closer to the edge.   I felt it start to tip over the edge, I closed my eyes and thought, what the hell am I doing? I heard the unmistakable sound of shattering and heaved the book in the direction of the blonde boy.

I looked up just in time to see it very efficiently hit him on the forehead.

“Child, don’t you move. Let me sweep it up first,” Maggie yelled hurrying towards me with a broom.

I wait for her to sweep away the plate, which thankfully only split in two pieces, before asking innocently, “Does anyone see my book?”

Evan stood up and walked towards me, I bit my lip nervously as he approached. “I think you…threw this at me.” His voice sounded like liquid velvet.

“Sorry, I was…I overreacted,” I confessed.

“Yeah, tell me about it,” he replied rubbing his forehead and holding the book out. I saw him catch the title and smile just a bit. I relaxed, he had seen it and now he would say something.

He didn’t. He simply handed me the book and walked away.

I scowled, how could he be so stubborn? How could he not see we were met to be together?

I sat their grumbling to myself for a good five minutes before I heard a familiar tune, the Doctor Who theme song. My mouth nearly dropped open as I looked up to see Evan smiling oh so slightly. He’s messing with me now.

I met eyes with him for less than a second and quickly looked down, my face heating up instantly. I heard the whistle stop and a loud laugh burst through the room, but when I looked up he was casually sipping his Latte and reading his comic book.

Okay, it’s on, I thought.

Out of my laptop bag I brought a long silver rod, shaped similarly to a rocket with a button on the side. A Sonic Screwdriver. As I pressed the button it made a sound sort of like a buzz and Evan shot his head up instantly. Just as quickly, I put the device back in my case.

He narrowed his eyes and I smirked.

Slowly he lifted his mug to his lips, never taking his eyes off me as if he were trying to be intimidating, but even though there was a cup to his face I could see him smiling. I watched as a trail of Latte washed down his face. “Shoot!” he shouted and jumped from his seat. I bit my lip to keep from laughing.

“Don’t you worry Hon, I’ll get you a wet cloth right away,” Maggie shouted, already running towards him, rag in hand.

“Thank you,” I heard him say and quickly grabbed Maggie’s arm, pulling her towards him. I leaned forward curiously as I saw him whisper something in her ear and push a note into her hand. He stood up, “I’ll just go to the bathroom.”

I watched as he left the room and Maggie turned her attention towards me, she was smiling but it wasn’t a kind smile it was an I-know-something-you-don’t-know smile. She walked across the café and handed me the crumpled note. My heart skipped a beat as I realized it was the one the blue eyed boy had just given her. She didn’t even say anything, just continued on her way like nothing had happened.

I carefully unfolded the note like it was something from the president not the boy across the room. Clearly written in loopy cursive were the words, so you’re a fan?

I giggled and thought about what to say back. Maybe I should just say yeah or maybe something flirty? Would he be scared off if I said something like that? Just write something, my brain shouted at me.

And so without wasting a moment I scribbled my note down, ran over to where he was sitting and place it right in the middle where he could see it. I looked at it for a minute and thought about what I was doing but heard the bathroom door open and ran back to my seat.

He came back talking on his cell phone with a big wet spot on his chest. “No, I’ll be there in a minute,” he said as he continued past the table and out the glass door.

No.

That was all I could think.

No, that didn’t just happen.

It felt like my heart had just been hit by an iceberg and was slowly sinking to the depths of the ocean.

No.

I could see him still, right on the other side of one the big glass windows that sported the title of the café. I could see his blonde hair whipping as he stood there.

I didn’t even think about what I was doing, I just ran over to that window and started beating on in like it were trapping me in here. He turned around; phone still pressed to his ear and gave me a look that said what the heck are you doing?

Quickly, I began breathing on the window, creating a nice writing surface. In terrible print I scratched out backwards a quick message, something just enough to get my point across.

Same time tomorrow?

I knew he saw it. I caught the faintest hint of a smile on his face even though he continued to talk to the phone. He would come, I knew it.