15 - Dead

Feeling Newt's lips on mine felt like I was meeting up with a long lost lover. Which was true. He loved me and I loved him before we were put in the maze. I wanted to kiss him, I yearned for him. But I knew it was wrong. What we had before, we didn't have it now. But, I had it with someone else.

I quickly pulled away, my eyes wide.

"Newt... I," I began. "That was a mistake."

The boy looked at the ground and nodded

The boy looked at the ground and nodded. "What did you mean, when you said I was in love with you?"

"Before the maze we loved each other. We told each other we would still love each other in the maze." I chuckled. "I guess things turned out a bit different."

Newt sighed and cracked his knuckles nervously. "I thought I knew you when I first saw your face. But I didn't say anything. Maybe that was a mistake."

My heart ached for him. "Newt, I'm sorry. But, it's not going to be the same between us. I still love you, but I love Minho more."

He closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath. He was conflicted, and so was I.

"That meant nothing. It was just the Flare," Newt said.

"Yeah, it was just the Flare," I agreed as tears fell from my eyes. "I should go."

"Anne..."

"No." I shook my head. "This meant nothing, okay? Just don't say anything to Minho. He'll kill you. Let me do it when the time is right. But it was just the Flare. Nothing else."

Newt nodded reluctantly. "Go. Tell Thomas to meet me here."

I didn't look at the blond boy as I left him in that office alone.

All of us, including Newt, carried the weapons and ammo. We were going to the hanger to find Jorge and hopefully escape this disgusting place. Newt and Thomas were acting different, it made me uneasy. Did Newt tell Thomas about us? Or was there something else he wasn't telling me?

Looking at Minho, I could feel the guilt swelling inside me. I loved him with all my heart. Kissing Newt was to try to feel something, feel a memory. But memories are in the past. Newt is in the past. Minho is in my future. Or... what ever future I have left. The Flare will take away everything I have worked for.

"Stop," Brenda said as we came up to a door. "You hear that?"

A moaning sound escaped from the other side of the hard metal. It didn't sound like any griever. It was human.

"Weapons up, we're going to check it out," Minho told us.

We nodded. I help my launcher up, ready to shoot anything that got in our way. My heart was steady. I wasn't nervous, not anymore.

Brenda opened the door and I saw something that made me smirk. The guards were tied up and gagged. I knew exactly who did it. Teresa was a leader and I admired her.

"Well now we know where they've been at this whole time," Newt mentioned.

"I think we should get information," Brenda suggested.

Thomas shook his head. "It could be another test. We can't take that risk."

As I scanned my eyes over the guards they landed on a familiar face. My jaw clenched, along with my fists. Seeing that man made my blood boil. He was the first person to ruin my life.

"Mark," I spoke.

His head turned and his eyes widened. He was scared of me.

"Wait, you know him?" Minho asked.

I nodded. "He ruined my life."

I stomped over to Mark. He attempted to scoot away from me, but he hit a wall. I squatted down in front of the vile man. His breath was ragged and smelt of alcohol.

"I told you I'd find you," I spoke softly. "It was just a matter of time." I ran my finger down his chest. "I see you've been promoted to guarding this place instead of snatching little kids from the streets."

I cocked my head to the side, taking a knife he had sticking out of his pocket. "Too bad this wasn't in your back pocket. Maybe you wouldn't be dead."

Mark began shaking his head furiously. I twirled the knife in my hand. "Are you scared, Mark? So was my brother when you took him away from me! It's all your fault!"

I plunged the knife into his chest repeatedly as he screamed through the gag.

"Anne!" Minho yelled as he grabbed me and pulled me away from the bleeding man. "You killed him."

I laughed as tears spilled from my eyes. "I did kill him. And I loved it."

Minho put my face in his hands. "This isn't you. This is the Flare. You can fight this, Anne. You've been through worse."

I smiled and looked at the blood on my hands

I smiled and looked at the blood on my hands. "I can't fight it. If you want me to stop before I get worse... you're going to have to kill me."

♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛

Really short but it shows how Anne is tumbling into insanity.

Sorry it's been a month, school started and I've been busy.

~Remember to vote and comment!~