Chapter 56

Ellie lay on Mia’s bed, and looked around her room, and thought, lazily.

She felt happy. She felt pleased with herself, and terribly fond of Mia, and glad they’d done this.

She looked at Mia’s room, still curious about what was there. It was still a bit of a surprise how different Mia was at home to when she sat on Ellie’s floor. It was a nice room, Ellie thought. Mia had nice things.

Mia had a lot of clothes.

Ellie looked over at the wardrobe, and thought about clothes. She suddenly wondered about borrowing things. Borrowing had to be an bonus of being involved with a woman, and Ellie wondered how Mia would feel about it. Whether Mia was a sharer with her friends, and whether Ellie was the right kind of friend to share with, and also how close they were to the same size. They were probably pretty close.

She wondered if borrowing clothes was something to just take for granted, or if she was being weird. She had no idea any more, about anything to do with Mia. No idea what was normal, and none what to expect, and nothing she could take for granted. A lot of the time she didn’t even what it was she needed to ask about.

It was quite an odd situation to be in.

It was a scary situation to be in.

She felt herself start thinking about that, and made herself stop. She decided to think about clothes instead. To obsess about borrowing clothes, rather than brooding about anything more complicated.

She thought about clothes.

She wondered what the rules were. She wondered what was normal.

She almost wanted to ask if she could borrow something, when Mia came back, just to find out.

She’d borrowed already, to go to the bathroom, and Mia hadn’t seemed to mind that. But it might be different, actually wearing something home, rather than just running along the hall. Earlier had been more an emergency borrow, like if Ellie had spilled wine all over herself. It probably wasn’t the same, Ellie decided, after some thought, and she shouldn’t just assume she could. She mightn’t like it if Mia did to her, so she shouldn’t do it back. She should check first, if she ever happened to stay over.

But it was all too complicated to deal with now anyway, she decided. Not for something so trivial. She shouldn’t worry so much about the little things, and should just enjoy being here.

She lay there, and looked around, and thought a little more.

She suddenly realized something awful. Something new to worry about.

The staying over.

She’d been getting ahead of herself, she realized. Ahead of herself and not. She was just lying here, while Mia was out the room, and she actually didn’t know she was welcome just to hang around. She didn’t know if she was expected to stay tonight, or expected to go, or if she was ever staying, of even if she would be back.

She was assuming she would be, because Mia seemed to like her and seemed to have had fun, but she shouldn’t just assume. She should never just assumed, because she really didn’t know at all.

She didn’t even know anything.

Not if they were finished, and if they were, not when to go, or how long to wait before she did, or even how she was supposed to tell when the time was right. She thought they were done with sex, but perhaps they weren’t. Perhaps Mia wanted to keep going. Or perhaps Mia wanted Ellie just to leave now. Or perhaps Mia wanted to hug and cuddle afterwards.

It didn’t really seem like Mia, but perhaps.

Ellie had no way to tell.

Normally she would leave rather than stay. She didn’t really like sleeping in strange beds. Normally she would leave, and normally she knew when the sex was finished, but with Mia she didn’t know anything for sure.

HousematesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara