Twelve

Silence.

Silence claws at my mind.

My wolf does not allow anyone to communicate with me except for Andrew.

At the moment he is asleep at the foot of my bed. He refuses to leave my side.

Staring out the window I see nothing but darkness. The nights are the worse. Where you are meant to sleep and forget the world I lay awake and allow my pain to take its course.

The squeaky springs sound bounces off the walls through the room earning a snore from Andrew.

A strong pull pushes me to the window.

The leaves rustle in the wind as I slide my window open. There is a padding of footsteps as Marcus emerges from the trees. His eyes lock on mine as I stare down at him.

"How are you holding up?" This is the first time he has spoken to me since my father's funeral.

How do you think?

I refuse to answer him. Marcus swallows and his eyes dart around as if to buy himself some time.

"I know I screwed up," he starts his eyes still not meeting mine.

I snort. Screwed up is an understatement.

"Melany, I am sorry," he looks up at me.

My jaw clenches.

"Please, can we talk?" His hand gestures to the trees and I follow with my gaze.

"After what happened to me you know what is going through my mind," Marcus shakes his head. "Maybe I would have been better off mateless. I think I am strong enough to live as a Solus."

The hurt that flashes across his eyes disappears quickly.

"You don't mean that." He whispers and for a moment I do not know if he is talking to me or himself.

The mountain air twirls my hair. Like fire crackling my hair disperses in every direction. Marcus' hazel eyes flicker to my hair as I push it behind my ear.

He was the one that was supposed to be there for me. The one that had to look after me. Instead, I had my best friend to endure my pain. He is still here asleep at the foot of my bed making sure that I do not make any stupid decisions.

Would this be considered stupid?

Peering over my shoulder Andrew is curled up into a ball like a puppy. He is probably avoiding getting kicked.

"Stay there," I order Marcus as I push myself away from my windowsill and close it.

Andrew jolts but stays asleep at the sound of my window closing.

"I'll be right back," I ruffle up his hair and walk out of my room and out of the pack house.

Marcus opens his mouth when I make my way towards him but quickly closes it when he sees that I walk right past him.

His footsteps pad hard against the ground as mine seem to barely tap at the ground.

I decided that I will not give him the satisfaction of going to our spot. Instead, I take a couple of steps into the trees and turn on my toes.

"How can I help you," my eyes travel to his lips as they settle into a frown.

"Seriously," he whines.

"Consider yourself lucky that I even came out to see you," my wolf paces in my mind. She is just as hurt as I am. The difference between us is that she has no choice in whether to stay or go.