+ nineteen +

Luke and I are watching a movie on the couch; his arms lay around me as we watch Monsters Inc. It seemed so perfect, we both looked so happy, enjoying each other’s company. I feel at ease as he intertwines our fingers together while stroking the back of my hand with his thumb. He mumbles something and as I look up at him, his eyes turn dark and he pushes me off of him coldly. I watch as his face morphs into my dad’s and he starts kicking at my sides. The more I yelp, the harder he kicks.

“Shut up! Stupid slut.” He shouts as he kneels down and before sending a punch to my eye. I scream and clutch my eye in pain.

“That didn’t even hurt. You’re such a whore, no wonder Luke left you.”

I scream and open my eyes, releasing me from the dream. Luke sits up, a panicky expression on his face. The warm tears falling freely, I bury my face in my hands. I can hear him talking but I can’t make out his muffled words. I feel his arms wrap around me while his hand rubs up and down my back which only causes me to cry louder. What did I do to deserve all this? Why did he have to come back, he should’ve just left me, I would’ve committed sooner or later.

“Scarlet please stop crying.” He says, peeling one of my hands off my face and taking it in his.

“Do you want to tell me what it was about, Scar?” he asks softly and I break down as he mentions my nickname. I haven’t heard him call me that in so long; ever since he left me.

That word left won’t stop repeating itself in my head. He left me, he abandoned me; he left me all alone.

“I didn’t mean to leave you.” He says mumbling, his voice croaky. I thought out loud. I look up at him, my hands shaking furiously by my side as my eyes come in contact with his. His eyes were such a beautiful shade of ocean blue; they were once the only thing that could soothe me.

“We’ll talk in the morning, there’s a lot I need to explain. Good night Scar.” He adds before pulling me into him, snuggling closer to me and this time, I didn’t push him away.

                                   ✂✂✂

The sun beaming through the blinds woke me up causing me to groan. I tried slipping out of Luke’s arms, but his grip was far too tight. I made an attempt to physically pry his fingers apart which only made his grip tighten; I don’t even know how that was possible, he was practically squeezing me. I turn myself to face him and poke his cheeks, making him smile and open his eyes.

“Just five minutes more, you’re comfy.” He begs, giving me puppy dog eyes. Ugh, I always gave in to his puppy dog eyes, it was impossible to say no. I groan and nod, causing him to smirk. He holds me for a while longer before I wriggle out of his grasp, making him sigh lightly.

“Here put these on, we’re going to get some breakfast.” He says smiling and hands me the sweatpants from last night. His position doesn’t change and I assume he expects me to change in front of him. I do a little wave of my hand signalling him to turn around and he blushes madly before turning.

I quickly slide them on and tap Luke’s shoulder, giving him a weak smile.

“Great, let’s go.” He says and links our arms together. Looking up, I realise we’re having Maccas, I haven’t had take-away since he left; unless you count the slice I had at Tate’s house. Speaking of Tate, I haven’t even checked my phone, maybe he’s called. I pull my phone out from my pocket and see I have 35 missed calls and 15 texts from him; great, he probably thinks I’m ignoring him. I sigh and Luke glances over.

“What’s wrong?” he asks worriedly and I show him my phone, his eyebrows furrow together and he bites his lip.

“Who is Tate?” his tone was annoyed and to be honest, this side of him scared me.

“F-friend.” I whisper and he looks at me in shock.

“You spoke!” He says stunned but smiling wide. I nod and look away. It felt so weird speaking, I had gone so long without it, it felt almost as if I was teaching myself how to, like learning to ride a bike. It’s daunting yet, exciting in a way.

He leaves, to collect the food he ordered and beams a smile when he returns, setting the tray down.

“I got your favourite, hot cakes and a bacon and egg muffin.”

 If this had been before, I would have squealed at the fact he bought me my favourite food, but my stomach churned at the thought. I was almost revolted by the idea of eating but I shrugged it off and took a bite of the muffin. I slowly chewed and swallowed despite the odd feeling in my stomach. When I finished, I felt like I had eaten the largest feast on Earth and my body didn’t seem to react well. It felt like my tummy was being turned inside out and then tied in a billion knots. Luke looked over at my pancakes, realising I hadn’t even touched them.

“Are you sure you don’t want these?” he asks and I shake my head.

“Oh well, more for me then.” He says, poking his tongue out and I smile weakly. I reach out my arm, grabbing the cup of coke in front of me and I see Luke’s whole body stiffen.

“Scarlet… W-what is that on y-your arm?” he asks shakily.