Chapter 21

"Read it again!" cried Ada.

Myka carefully unfolded the tiny piece of paper. It looked so wrong now. The edges were tattered. There were lines across each of the sister's favorite parts. Myka had highlighted their favorite words for them at one point to give them the strength to go on. The Journey had been long and hard. Abby had been a great asset. She never complained about anything. Sae and Ada were the complete opposite. They complained about everything.

"My feet hurt," cried Ada.

"My back hurts," cried Sae.

"When will we be there?" they both asked at the same time.

"Soon," said Abby, "Very soon."

"It's just over that hill," said Myka. She was sure of it this time. Her sisters glared at her. They had lost faith in her hill predictions about fourteen hills ago.

Myka felt the need to change the subject.

"What is your heart's desire?" she asked to no one in particular.

Ada squealed and hopped up and down. Myka watched as Gertrud and Evan went flying. She reached out to catch Evan but Ada jumped in front of her and rescued him before he could become Myka's quick snack.

"I want food!" Ada said, "I want to have a banquet in my honor every night and stuff myself so much that I can't walk any more!"

"I want a house," said Sae. I want a house so big that I don't have to sleep in the same room twice for the rest of my life!"

I want to see the prince thought Myka, but she never shared her thought allowed with her sisters. She did not want them laughing at her again.

There was a long silence after that as the started walk up towards the crest of the next hill.

"I want" Abby would start, "I want to see my mother again." A single tear would slip down the girls face. Ada and Sae would be too busy starting back in on their complaints to pay this show of affection any heed. Myka made it a point to pat the girl on the back.

"And you will," she told Abby. "See," she said as she lifted the note up for Abby's inspection. "It says that you will be given your heart's desire." Myka passed then, reflecting on what she could say next.

"The King can do anything," Myka would continue, "You wish is all too possible to redeem." She smiled at Abby. Abby smiled back. Both of them were happy.

Myka picked up the pace.

"We're almost there" she called over her shoulder. The group behind her just snorted.

Five more steps she thought. Four more. Three more. Only two more to go. One more and your there Myka said to herself. That's it just one more. There. She was at the top of the hill. She looked back behind her to see the progress everyone else was making. Abby was the closest behind her. She made it to the top while Myka was still looking at her sisters' progress. Ada was next to the top. She grumbled as she passed Myka. It was something about too hot or new lot Myka could quite make it out. Sae was not far behind her.

Myka felt a light tug on her sleeve. The tugging increase when she did not turn around.

"What do you want," Myka asked as she turned. Her tone was harsher than it should have been. She was expecting it to be Ada pulling on her sleeve. Instead, it was Abby.

"Is that what I think it is," asked Abby. Myka turned all the way round this time to see what Abby was pointing too. There at the bottom of the hill in the center of the valley lay the most beautiful castle Myka had ever seen. It had seven towers that shined in seven colors in the bright noonday sun. Myka had to shield her eyes from the glare. It was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen.