Chapter 18

Jesse followed Moe back down into the earth. Moe left the horse and cart up on the surface. He told Jesse that someone else would carry the plates and bones inside. Jesse was thankful for that. He was glad to be away from so much death, even if it was only a small reprieve. He thought that they had entered through the same way that they had come out, but after a while he was unsure. Something was different this time. The path was not the same as the one he took down before. It still went down, which came as a little bit of a surprise to Jesse. Hadn't they gone down to get out? So to get back to the room wouldn't they have travel up? But no, here it seemed everything when in a downward direction. The path seemed to go on forever. When would it end? Jesse was beyond tired. All he wanted to do was rest. His muscles acted from the effort it took to wash the dishes. Each step was a test of strength in and of itself. He fell down at one point. He did not feel as if he could move another step. Moe had turned around and waited for him. When Moe realized he was not getting back up he humphed out a few choice words and helped Jesse to his feet.

"Sire will kill me if I don't get you back to the barracks," said Moe as he slung Jesse over his shoulder. Jesse lay there limply. He did not even have the strength to keep his feet from being dragged on the ground. He is probably right; Jesse thought absently as they passed threw another set of doors. Bel would most likely kill him.

"But he will kill you first," can the voice from inside his head. Jesse scuffed at the voice. Leave me alone. He told it.

"Just trying to help," came back the response. "You would think I would be more appreciated for all that I've done for you."

Jesse did not even try to respond to that. His conches was slipping back into darkness. He fell asleep being dragged down the hallway.

Jesse's head banged against something very hard. Ouch, he thought. He opened his eyes to see were he was at. A bright white light blinded him. It took him a second or two of blinking to regain his sight. He was lying on a warm black floor and his head hurt. He stood himself up. It took a lot of effort and a couple of tries, but no one around him complained, if there was anyone around him. He could not tell yet because his eyes had not adjusted to the light.

A voice in the distance coughed. He squinted his eyes to see who it was. He was starting to be able to see shapes again. The first thing he noticed was Moe. Moe was the one that had coughed. Probably to get my attention Jesse thought. Once he had focused on Moe he was better able to make out the other bodies in the room. He seemed to be in a large cavern of some kind. In the center was a fountain. A black fountain. No light illuminated from its depts. Jesse was unsurprised. This must be the heart of this world Jesse thought. A heart of darkness. Jesse suppressed the thoughts that followed and moved on. He scanned the walls of the room. All the men that he had seem before were now lined up against that wall. Each one had a weapon in their hands. Some carried swords, other axes, other maces, there was even one with a glaive of all things. Jesse let his eyes scan each of then until the fell back to the source of light in the room.

The light came from bones. Lots and lots of bones piled precisely one on top of the other in a pyramid pattern that ended in a beautifully carved throne. On that seat sat Bel.

Bel smiled at him from atop his throne of bones. "Welcome Jesse, son of Rehtaf, Prince of Haven to my throne room." Jesse was started to know that Bel knew who he was after all. Jesse did not let the shock show on his face. He was in dangerous waters here. Bel waved his hand out in front of him. "All that you have seen" he said, "And all that is here, I will share with you dear prince, but at a small price of course"

Jesse look hardened. He did not want anything that Bel had touched. This word was vial. It needed to be cleansed. He was pretty sure that Bel would never allow that to happen. "What is your price?" Jesse asked.