Chapter 4

It's been a week since I've talked to Nicky about me being gay/bisexual, I'm still not really sure which applies to me. It's also been a week since Cassidy left for Paris. I didn't say anything about her calling me her boho babe again that night. I haven't said anything to her about what me and Nicky spoke about that night either. I have however told my dad and Lisa about it and dad was ecstatic to put it lightly.

He said now he wont have to worry about going to jail if some guy breaks my heart. Then I reminded him that it was possible that I like both girls and boys. And that he still had Nicole and the twins Lisa was pregnant with to still worry about. The look on his face was priceless. Ryan took the news pretty much the same way Nicky did. He told me he loves me no matter what, gave me a great big bear hug, and pretended to cry about his baby sister growing up so fast. I'll miss having his goofy butt being at home when he moves on campus in the fall.

I'm on my way to my moms house to tell her and Dave right now. After all the positivity I've gotten from the rest of my family I'm not worried about being rejected by them like I thought I would be when I first told Nicky. I don't even bother knocking on the door when I get there, I just let myself in.

"Maya!" I'm immediately attacked my little brother Jake. "Hey kiddo." I grin ruffling his dark hair as I hug him. Jake is my mom and Dave's oldest child, they have another son named Matt. Jake is six and looks just like Ryan did when he was younger. Matt's only two and looks like a little clone of Dave with his brunette hair, brown eyes, and dimples that really show when he smiles and laughs. "Cut it out Maya." He whines pulling his head away from my hand. His hair is getting pretty long but he refuses let mom take him to get it cut, saying he wants to grow a man bun like Ryan's one day.

"Whatever little monkey, where's mom and Dave?" I ask poking him in his little sides causing him to giggle. "Mommy's in Matt's room and daddy's in the backyard. Come on let's show mommy you're here." He grabs my hand and starts to drag me down the hall and up the stairs before I can say otherwise. "Mommy guess who's here!" He shouts with excitement when we get upstairs. "Jake what did we tell you about opening the front door by yourself?" She asks with her back to the door and us while she puts a shirt on Matt.

"He can't let someone in if they used a key." I say stepping next to her and reaching arm around her shoulders to hug her from the side. "Maya! How are you sweetheart?" She hugs me back after setting Matt down. "Not that I'm not happy to see you but what are you doing here? Are you supposed to be meeting up with Cassidy?" Ryan, Nicole, and I live with dad majority of the time.

Not because we have a problem with mom and Dave or anything, just once we got into high school it was easier to concentrate on our work without Jake running around and Matt crying all the time. It started off with us just being at dad's during the week, then it became for the school year and before we knew it we lived there full time. We still come around pretty often but I've just been so preoccupied with trying to figure things out that I haven't been around that much.

"Nah Cassidy's still in Paris. I came to see you guys." I smile and pick Matt up, giving him a hug. "Hey Matty." I give him a raspberry on his cheek and he giggles before trying to give me one back. He mostly slobbers on me but he's still little so it's cute. "I also wanted to talk to you and Dave about something." I tell mom as I wipe my face on my shoulder. She nods and we make our way downstairs and to the back yard where she sets the boys lose to play so I can talk to them.

"Hi Maya, long time no see." Dave says getting up once we get outside. "Hey Dave" I say giving him a hug before siting in one of the patio chairs across from him and mom sits next to him. "So I have something to tell you guys. I think-well I'm positive at this point that I'm-" "PREGNANT!" Mom shouts out shocking me and Dave who looks wide eyed from her then to me."

"NO! God no mom, you are so far off base." I say quickly and watch as they breathe out in relief. "Oh thank god Maya you're still a baby yourself." Dave says causing me to roll my eyes and grin a little. "Any ways like I was saying, I'm gay or maybe bisexual. I'm not really sure how I would define myself yet. I think I still like guys but I'm not sure. I still have some things to sort through but I know I definitely have a thing for girls."

Well one girl at least.

It's quiet for a minute as what I've just said sinks in. I tear my eyes away for a second to glance at my little brothers to make sure they're ok. "Maya sweetheart look at me" I turn my attention back to my mom "That doesn't matter to us." I smile having expected them to react with love and acceptance. "We're your parents and we love you, right honey?" We look to Dave who's been quiet till now.

"Are you sure?" He asks with a raised brow and I nod with a smile. "Well then there's only one thing to say: get out." He says pointing to the door and I blink, my smile faltering. "Wh-what?" I ask confused. "You heard me. Leave. I don't want your-your" he scrunched up his face in disgust "kind" he spits out "around my sons."

This is a joke right? I can't believe this. He-he has to be fucking with me right now.

"Come on Dave that's not funny." I tell him with a straight face. He stands up and my eyes jump to my mom who looks just as shocked as I am. "Do I look like I'm fucking joking?" He bangs his fist on the table causing me to jump. I guess this snaps my mom out of it cause she jumps up too and puts a hand on his arm. "Now wait a minute David that's my daughter, I'll be damned if you do this to her." She tells him and he snatches his arm away from her and scowls.

"Alice she is a dyke!" He raises his voice and I flinch at that word. "I don't want her around my boys. She'll turn them into faggots! If she wants to be a carpet eater she can go do it at Maxwell's house and around his children!" My mom gasps at his aggressiveness, Dave is one of the nicest people ever so it's really out of character for him to be behaving like this. I look over to Jake and Matt to see them looking over here with worry and curiosity on their faces.

They're probably wondering why Dave's yelling at me since he never yells.

"You're scaring them." I tell him as I stand and try to keep my emotions from bubbling up and spilling over. He's not worth wasting my tears on. "Don't you worry about my boys. Get whatever shit you have left here and don't come back and stay away from my boys." I can see so much hatred in his eyes right now it's scary. "David you can't be serious right now. Th-this isn't you" my mom had tears in her eyes and I happen to feel something wet on my face and realize I had started crying.

The bastard got to me.

"What's all the yelling abo-" the screen door opens revealing Ryan. He stops and looks at moms tear filled eyes, my probably tear streaked face, and at Dave who's red faced and breathing hard. He immediately comes over and puts an arm around my shoulders and it's all I can do not to break down. Not in front of this asshat that's replaced Dave, the step-father I've come to love like almost as much as my real father. I wipe my face and sniffle looking over to the boys again who are now making their way over to us.

Great just what we need. They don't need to see this.

"Hey boys everything's ok, how about you guys go inside and I'll turn some cartoons on for you." I say about to make my way over to them when I feel the table bump me from behind. I turn back around to see Ryan's hand wrapped around Dave's wrist. "Don't you fucking touch my baby sister." Ryan hisses through his teeth.

Dave's not a small guy by any means but Ryan's bigger than him, having played football all his life. I pick Matt up, grab Jakes hand and hurry them inside to the living room. I cut the tv on and tell Jake not move and to keep Matt here with him. Before I can turn to go back out my phone rings and I see it's my dad.

"Daddy" I sniffle a bit and swallow to keep from crying out loud. "Baby girl what's wrong? What happened? Are you ok?"

"I-" is all I can squeak out not trusting my voice right now. A crashing sound from outside catches my attention and I turn back to the boys. "You guys stay here ok?" Jake nods and tries to distract Matt. "Daddy hurry to moms, it's Dave."