Chapter 17

We ran. The rebellion grabbed loved ones and valuables and we left the compound. They had me, I didn't know about Adam, they had the most important piece for the human betterment project. I cried for the first hour of our travels, scared that they would come after me, sad about leaving Cole and Amanda, and happy that I was finally free of my neverending torment about the fact that someday, I would kill the entire human race. But after that hour I felt like a completely different person, a determined, strong human that had people. They were with me, most not a hundred percent but I had them and they had me. We stopped in a large piece of land with only one building. Stunned that there could be this much space somewhere I ran out of our car and into the grass.

"What are you doing!" Parker called from the front seat of the small car he had picked out. He hadn't said much of anything on the drive here. But I was fine with that, I didn't want anyone to talk to me while I cried. I turned and called back to him.

"Enjoying the space!" A bubble of pure joy escaped my mouth and I fell into the grass laughing even after the contact shoved the air out of me. I closed my eyes and breathed in, I smelled the surrounding trees and sweet smells from a plant I have never seen before and the nearing sunset. I opened my eyes and Parker was standing next to me watching he held Tucker's leash tightly barely keeping him from licking my face. We stared at each other for awhile, the quiet seeping into our bones. His blue eyes bored into mine and I wondered what he saw. All I could hope for was that it was something good. I was strong but I don't think I could survive if he left. He blinked.

"Get up, we have to catch up with the others at the farm house." He looked away and held out a hand. Before I would have slapped it away but now I take it letting him pull me up. The farm house was surrounded in tiny tufts of leaves that were similar to what you would call tiny trees. The surrounding land was speckled with at least three different kinds of trees and the grass was covered with the sweet smelling plant which bloomed in reds and yellows making the sunshine even more beautiful. I saw a stream of our people walking into the farmhouse and a woman with gray hair standing by the door shaking hands with everyone who entered. Parker shifted and pulled his hand from mine as we began walking toward our future.

When I walked up to the woman at the door and held out my hand like everyone else she looked me up and down, scowled and said nothing. I felt my spirit crack slightly. Even though I risked my life, faced all odds and am still trying to save everyone, people still saw me for what I was created for and nothing more. Parker, who stood behind me, took my arm and guided me into the house. His hand pulling on my arm reminded me of Cole and Adam, I shrugged it off and looked at the floor. I didn't need to be guided anywhere anymore, not to mention I didn't want to think about the compound anymore, or at least not right now. Everyone was talking and wrapping their arms around each other. It filled the room with a warm and powerful energy, I forgot about Parker acting like Cole and Adam and stepped into the crowd with Parker trailing behind me.

"So where's this Colin guy?" I asked looking at everyone as I passed by, some noticed me and either gave me a look or smiled but most of them didn't seem to even see me.

"Probably talking to Martha. She runs this farm and they both have been friends for a long time."

"Shouldn't we join them?"

"I suggest we stay low for now. Why don't I just introduce you to some people alright?" He scratched the back of his neck and started weaving his way through the crowd ahead of me. I followed and felt anxious. No one really wanted to talk to me, I was the enemy no matter how nice some of these people were. I even now still consider them my people but deep down I know that these people would be happy to just kill me off. I will always know this and will always be afraid that at some point they will kill me. But I can't think about that. I want to be happy for now. I followed him up a flight of stairs into another nice sized room but with fewer people. Parker immediately began the arm wrapping thing everyone else was doing downstairs with a man who was similar to him but with brown hair instead of black and with a tougher build. His eyes blazed blue when they locked with me. He let go of Parker.