Chapter 16

I didn't meet up with Parker the next few nights. I had to bring down the suspicion that I was rebelling. The day after we met up that night there was a rumor spreading through the compound of me talking to some boy about a revolution. So for the past three days I have acted as inhumanly possible, being the spitting image of what the superiors wanted of the 'perfect human'. What everyone didn't know was what I truly was, except Adam and Parker. Whenever we got the chance to talk during Mathew's training we would discuss different meeting places and how we would meet up to exchange information. Parker told me that he's told the rebels of my intentions and nothing else but that he's bought them and soon should be allowed a meeting with Colin himself.

I walk with Mathew down a hallway in building A. Today is different, today the superiors will see if I'm ready for the trials. See if I'm prepared to start killing thousands of innocent people. Which I heard will be part of my trials; killing the people here at the compound. It won't come to that. I remind myself, me and Parker will get a plan before that. I need to slow this process down, they have been waiting for me to make a move. I'm the queen in a game of chess, the master card, the secret weapon. But it also has to be me that begins everything.

 Amanda helped me pick out the dress I wear today. A flowy, purple,short and sparkly dress that allows me to move freely while still looking presentable. I didn't know if this would be like when I first met the superiors or if it would be just me and them, which made my hands clammy and shake. Adam walked behind me wearing a black cotton jacket with sharp shoulders matching pants and a white shirt. It made him look sharp, and like someone important, his red short hair accenting the black and white making his hair look ablaze. He was handsome. Cole went ahead of us, saying he needed to prepare something and taking Parker with him. That made me nervous, if Cole suspected Parker and was questioning him I had no idea if Parker would talk. I trusted him yes, in a dire situation that depended on his sudden action, not for him to sneak around and keep secrets. I had no idea what was happening and felt like everything was flowing out of my power. I had to stay in power or everything would be lost, and I can't kill anyone else after that woman. We walk into the great room where I met the superiors and are greeted by about a third of the amount of people that were here before. Parker stood against the wall on the far side of the room with Cole a few feet to his side. They looked like guards watching over the prisoners, intimidating and welcoming at the same time.

A young woman walked up to me smiling. "Wow you're so beautiful Eve. My name is Donna, I took care of Adam for the past three years. I'm glad he's getting someone with the right morals. That heartless creature grew on me." She shook my hand as she spoke to me, she seemed unsure to act giddy or serious about the situation.

"Thanks... Heartless? Adam?" I asked surprised, Adam has always been a roller coaster of emotions to me. Always exploding about something, that or being so serious he gives me headaches. She looked at me strange, as if she didn't know what I meant. Adam walked up to us and shook hands with Donna.

"Nice to see you." He said his voice flatter than I've ever heard it, and his eyes were glazed over and had no emotion in them. Donna smiled.

"Nice to see you to. You haven't changed a bit." Adam's expression didn't change and I understood what Donna was talking about. I looked at him trying to convey my confusion to him.

"Excuse us Donna." He said turning before she could acknowledge him leaving, I waved goodbye and followed him. She frowned at me in confusion. When we got to a safe distance I asked.

"What just happened over there? I haven't seen you act like that since I was born."

"These people don't know I changed and I thought we didn't want them to know, so I suggest you do the same. You're acting like you are one of them. Be polite but aloof and arrogant. It's what they expect."