Chapter 5

I stared at my ceiling till I heard my door open. I looked forward but refused to move my body. I could just barely see a bit of black hair in front of me. I moved to see Cole standing in the doorway. His dark eyes showing nothing, and his thin lips taught.

"You missed breakfast." His words sounded practiced. I didn't say anything, I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that I used to be one of them, the possibility that I still was.

"You need to get up Eve." Cole said stepping up beside me, I frowned and sat up. He held up his hand for me to grab. I waved it away.

"Get up Eve. You have training to get to..." Cole's eyes grew a soft look I had never seen on him before.

"I took something from you." I whispered looking away from him.

"Yes, but it was better this way. She would have left anyway. Now she gave something back, something to make up for leaving."

"I am not something that can make up her empty slot." My eyes were dry and my insides felt like they were eating each other.

"Yes. Nothing could ever replace Scarlett. But you can make you're own slot. Stop being depressed, you shouldn't even have this emotion. Don't you have a mission to complete?"

"I believe a part of me wishes I was still Scarlett. My being doesn't fit in this body."

Cole's face grew harder, and I could tell he didn't like me speaking her name. "It is your body. She gave it up for you."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Of course it does, it's like a mother giving her child it's own body."

"But I took hers. That's not anything like a mother and child. I took something from all of you."

"Yes, you did. I'm sure you have already had this conversation with Amanda, why are you acting like this? This isn't you."

"You made me!" I snapped standing up letting the covers that were on my legs fall to the floor.

"You made me, so you should now what's wrong with me. Am I really a tool for you? Do you not care that I might be just like you?"

"You're not like us at all." His voice grew soft, I had never heard this tone on him, I didn't know whether to be afraid or welcome it. "You just don't know what to do right now."

"Of course I don't! How could I know what to do in a position like this? I don't like this any more than you do." I paused my breath coming heavy and my heart pounding.

"Get me Adam, you don't want to be here anyway." I ordered, daring him to defy my request.

"I want to be here." I startled, I did not expect this reaction from him. I didn't know how to react.

"I want to help you find you're way, but I need you to calm down and think rationally again. Become the Eve you were before all this." I sniffed trying my best to compose myself. I stood taller.

"Get me Adam, or I'll go myself." I said and waited for him to leave, his eyes looked different from before. I couldn't quite place it because I had never seen it on him before, but it looked gentle, almost kind and longing. I stiffened and stormed out of my room and sped down the hall.

"Eve!" I heard Cole call behind me, he wasn't far behind. He grabbed my hand and turned me around.

"You can't tell Adam about all this." He said firmly the gentle look had disappeared in my absence.

"Why not? Amanda told me." Cole paused thinking how he should word his next sentence.

"Adam isn't like you." Cole said letting me go, letting a whole new wave of shock roll over my body in a wave almost pulling me down.