Chapter 3

I opened my eyes feeling Adam's arms still wrapped around me but they were even looser than they were when I fell asleep. I looked up to see his head tilted over my shoulder so I couldn't tell if he was awake or not.

"Adam." I whispered and wriggled one of my arms from his embrace and put my arm around his shoulders. I heard his soft breathing become slightly heavier but otherwise he didn't change or move at all. I listened to him breath for a minute then said his name again a little louder. He sighed and his grip tightened around me. I rubbed his shoulder and said his name again a couple times. He let go of me and pulled his arm out from under me.

"What time is it?" His voice was gruff and sluggish as he sat up and looked at me.

"Time?" I asked as we seemed to stare at each other for whatever reason.

"Did something wake you?" He asked after a while. I shook my head and looked out the window, somehow it seemed clearer and paler outside than it was when I first got here.

"That's called morning, meaning the sun is just starting to rise." He moved closer to me and put his arms around my waist.

"I don't really like that." I mumbled he didn't seem to have heard me though.

"That's the sun right there." He said pointing at it as it rose above the ground.

"What is it?"

"A huge ball of hot burning gases in space, it's what gives the Earth light." He said simply, like I understood everything he just said.

"I need to tell you you're schedule for the next fourteen months." He said his old cold voice returning. I nodded but he didn't move from his position at all. I was starting to feel squeamish. He sighed.

"Every morning like this you'll wake up and go to the cafeteria where you'll meet me so I can teach you all the really important things while you eat breakfast. Then you'll meet with a trainer who will train you to be a soldier till you fall everyday. Afterwards me or Amanda will come get you for dinner and then you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want." He said

"If I meet you in the cafeteria that means you won't be staying here?" I asked.

"I'm staying in building D across the street."

"Then why did you stay here while I slept?" He didn't answer, he just got up and went over to a dresser.

"Come here." He said, I did as he opened one of the drawers I looked inside to see many shirts with different colors and patterns on them.

"Pick one to wear." He opened another drawer underneath that one and I saw it was full of pants. "Pick one of those as well and put them on, I'll be in the bathroom." He said and walked off. I looked inside and didn't know which ones to pick, I saw two dazzling colors I had never seen before on one shirt that was wavy and loose and decided to wear that. I looked through the pants and found some like what I was already wearing, I chose those and put them on.

"I'm going to see if Amanda is here." I said loudly and walked out of my room over to hers. The door was open a crack so I opened it to find her sitting at her desk leaning over a bunch of white rectangles with a thin cylindrical object.

"Oh Eve you're awake." She looked up then made a strange face.

"Honey we got to do something about your hair." She said and got up and lead me back into my room to find Adam looking around franticly.

"Where did you go?" He yelled seeming very upset.

"I told you, I went to see if Amanda was here." I said and pointed at Amanda who seemed shocked Adam was here. He sighed and leaned against the wall.