20: hallow's eve

The month leading up to Halloween was quite busy for the first year Gryffindors, but even more so for Harry, as he had quidditch practice three times a week starting on September twentieth, the day he got his broom. Percy did his best to help his brother with homework but was ultimately unsuccessful as he had to do his own.

The classes on Halloween were much shorter than usual owing to the massive feast that was going to take place that evening. In their first class that day, Charms, they were learning the Levitation Charm. Percy and Harry were paired together and Ron was paired with Hermione, much to the ginger's annoyance. Flitwick had given them all feathers to practice with for the lesson. Hermione, as usual, had completed the spell on her first try, lifting her feather three feet into the air before slowly lowering it back to her desk.

"Well done, Miss Granger. Well done!" Flitwick gave three points to Gryffindor, then turned to Ron, who was glowering heavily at his feather. "Let's see you try it, Mister Weasley."

Ron gave a small huff and attempted the spell. "Wingardium Leviosa!" Nothing happened.

While Percy and Harry snickered at Ron's red face Flitwick said, "Ah. Better luck next time," and retreated back behind his desk.

Frustrated, Ron began jabbing his wand furiously at the feather, chanting, "Wingardium Leviosa! Wingardium Leviosa!"

Looking alarmed, Hermione grabbed Ron's arm, bringing it to a halt. "Stop, stop, stop! You could poke someone's eye out!" Ron glared at her. "Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Wingardium LeviOsa, not LeviosA."

Ron shook her hand from his arm and said, "Well, if you're so clever, let's see you do it then."

Hermione raised an eyebrow, amused. "I literally just did it, Ronald, what else do you expect me to do?" Percy sniggered even more at this and elbowed Harry, who was just trying to ignore them and levitate his feather.

Ron grinned smugly. "I guess you're just afraid you won't be able to do it again."

"Oh, come on, Ron. Really?" Percy thought that accusing her of incompetence was taking it just a little too far.

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "Fine." She turned back to her feather and said very clearly, "Wingardium Leviosa." As Percy had expected, her feather floated up into the air once more. Ron just scowled and slumped back into his chair, not even trying anymore.

There was a BANG and Percy turned to look at Seamus, who was sitting at the table next to Harry. Percy burst out laughing at the sight. Seamus had somehow managed to make his feather explode, covering himself, the girl next to him, and half of Harry's face in soot. "Professor," Harry said weakly, "I think that we're going to need another feather over here."

****

Harry, Percy, and Ron were walking across the courtyard to their next class, History of Magic. "I mean, can you believe her?" Ron was ranting about Hermione and how it was unfair that he had to sit next to her and Percy and Harry got to sit next to each other. He started to imitate her, doing a cruel impression of her large front teeth. "It's LeviOsa, not LeviosA! Honestly! It's no wonder she doesn't have any friends." A girl with a bush of brown hair shoved in between Ron and Harry, knocking Ron's bag off his shoulder.

They all stared after her and Harry said, "I think she heard you."

****

Hermione didn't show up to any of their classes all day after that. She didn't even show up for dinner. Percy leaned across the table to the girl that had been sitting next to Seamus in Charms. "Pavarti? Have you seen Hermione at all today?"