19: mysteries upon mysteries

The closer and closer Tuesday got, the tenser it was between Harry and Malfoy. They would glower at each other across classrooms and the Great Hall, and they would snap at each other over anything inconsequential. Finally, it was Tuesday and it was dinner. Harry was visibly nervous, not eating much.

"Come on, Harry, you need to eat. I don't care if you're nervous about the duel, you won't beat Malfoy if you haven't eaten at all." Percy and Ron kept trying to make Harry eat, but he would just grunt and ignore them.

Dinner passed by fairly quickly for Percy, though he couldn't say the same for Harry. When everyone got up to go back to their common rooms, the three boys started whispering different spells they could use against the Slytherin. Ron had already established that he would be going just in case something went horribly wrong.

They got back to the common room and sat in their usual places in front of the fire, not really able to focus on homework. Percy managed to get his Transfiguration done and was starting on his Charms when the common room was almost empty. There were two fifth-year girls talking quietly in the corner, Hermione, who was by herself studying, and Neville, but he looked to be asleep. At eleven, the two fifth years, yawning, took their conversation up to their dormitory. The three boys decided to wait a bit and see if Neville and Hermione went up. At eleven thirty, however, neither had, so they decided to go anyway.

As soon as they stood up, Hermione rose as well and made her way over to them. Ron groaned and whispered, "Don't tell me you're going to stop us."

She narrowed her eyes at him and said, in an equally quiet voice, "No, I'm not going to stop you. I'm coming with you."

Harry and Ron immediately began to protest, saying things like she would only slow them down, that sort of thing. Percy rolled his eyes. "Harry, Ron, shut up." he said, "Hermione, you can come." Hermione smirked smugly over at them.

The four were about to climb through the portrait hole when Neville, who they had thought to be asleep, suddenly said, "Where are you going?" It was quite loud, so they all shushed him. Quieter this time, he said, "Where are you going? You know you could get in serious trouble for going out after hours."

Clearly impatient, seeing that it was already eleven forty-five, Harry whispered, "We won't be gone long, it's not that bad, Neville."

Neville looked to be arguing with himself in his head. "Then...then I'm coming with you."

The four of them immediately began whispering complaints about how long this was taking can't we hurry up we're going to miss it already fine Neville you can come whatever just be quiet. The five of them all climbed through the portrait hole and shut it behind them, trying not to wake the Fat Lady. They tiptoed down the hallway, trying to be as quiet as physically possible. There was a very good chance that they would be caught by Filch or his cat, Mrs. Norris. They nearly ran into Peeves once. He was the castle's poltergeist, and he loved giving misery to first years. It would have made his day if he could have gotten them caught.

Once they neared the trophy room they became wary. Malfoy could have jumped out and attacked them when they weren't paying attention. However, they made it to the trophy room without incident at five minutes until twelve. They waited, but when Harry's watch showed it was midnight, Malfoy wasn't there. They waited for ten more minutes, but he never showed up.

Hermione huffed and started to speak. "I told you-"

"The boy said they would be down here, didn't he? Yes, the trophy room..."

That was unmistakably the voice of Filch. Percy and Harry exchanged horrified glances. They had been tricked. As quietly as he could, Percy led the group through the other door to the trophy room. As soon as it was closed, they ran.