Fifteen

It's been ten days. Ten days I've been at Connor's beck and call. Fallon is driving me crazy, I don't understand his view on why he doesn't want me to go over there by myself. Connor needs help and I want to help him, Fallon needs to see that we almost lost Connor and it made me realize it's not worth losing Connor in my life to hold onto my grudge. The actions of the first night are still in my mind and I hope the both of them soon realize that they care for each other deep down still.

"I got you something," Connor tells me as I unlock his apartment door. I look down at him as I hold the door open and ask, "And how would you do that? I'm with you practically all day." He smiles at me and demands, "Look on the counter." A sigh escapes my lips, but I oblige and avert my attention towards the kitchen. My eyes go wide at the huge bouquet of white roses sitting there with ribbon tied around the vase. I walk up to it and take in the scene, I catch sight that the ribbon has words written on it. "Vera, I owe you the world. Thank you for everything," it reads. A smile makes its way on my face and I turn around to a happy Connor. "I don't know what to say Connor. They're absolutely beautiful, thank you," I tell him while wrapping my arms around him. He pulls me in to hug me back and whispers in my ear, "Anything for you."

I'm walking back to my dorm with the twenty-four roses in my hand, I feel so out of place right now while walking across campus. "Need help?" I hear a familiar voice ask next to me. I turn towards the person to find Foster standing there. I smile at him and reply, "That would be amazing thank you." He nods his head and slowly takes the vase from my hands. As we walk towards my dorm we don't really say anything, except small talk on how our day has been. "What's the occasion that Fallon got these flowers for?" he finally asks. I look at Foster for a second then look away before answering truthfully, "They're not from Fallon. They're from Connor." Foster stops walking and looks directly at me. "Vera," my name slips out. I can see there's uncertainty on his face, which causes me to look away. "Does Fallon know? These are your favorite flowers and I can't even imagine how much this cost Connor," he asks me ignoring my expression for him to stop talking. "No and it's not a big deal Foster, okay? Look Connor gave them to me, because he wanted to thank me for helping him out these past ten days. I don't think you need to be looking into this as you are. You don't even know Connor, yet alone what's been going on. Foster I don't want your judging looks right now, especially when I helped Connor today without Fallon being there," I reply right away. Foster keeps his gaze for another couple of seconds then looks forward and starts to walk again.

"Why wasn't Fallon there?" he casually asks. I catch up to him and reply, "Fallon had class and I didn't see the harm in going to Connor." Foster scoffs softly to himself, but I still hear it. "Yet I'm sure Connor knows Fallon's schedule by now," he comments under his breath. I ignore his rude statement and continue to walk with him. "Foster I'm not perfect," I speak up. He stops walking once again and I realize we've reached the elevators of the dorm. "I know and I'm sorry I don't want to make you think that I blame you. I just don't want to see you get hurt again, because Vera I brought you out last time and I'm afraid I might not be able to do it again," he confesses as the doors open. We walk down the hallway towards my room, but I can already see a blonde haired boy waiting in the hallway. I push the conversation Foster and I have had away and run into Fallon's open arms. He kisses me and holds me close against him. I hear someone behind us clear their throat, then reality rushes in and I remember Foster. I reluctantly pull away from Fallon and face Foster. "Thank you for carrying the flowers Foster," I say while reaching out towards them.

As I unlock the door to my room Fallon asks, "Do I want to know why Foster hurriedly got out of here after you took the flowers he gave you? Which by the way, why did he give you flowers?" I bite my lip and bravely turn around to face Fallon after I set the flowers down on my desk. "He didn't. Connor did," I reply. Emotion is wiped from Fallon's face right as the words slip from my mouth. "He wanted to thank me," I defend before he can say anything. "Okay," is all Fallon tells me. I stand there and raise my eyebrows at him. "Okay?" I question. He nods his head and grabs my hand to pull me closer to him. "Yeah okay, now I came here to pick you up so we can go watch our show that comes on in thirty minutes," he casually brings up. I look up at him fully surprised, but a smile appears and I nod my head right before I smash my lips against his. "I love you," I tell him as we walk out of my room. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and says, "I love you Vera more than anything else." Even with his words I can't help but feel that he hasn't finished what he wants to say about Connor.

"Are you going to answer those messages?" Fallon asks me with clear irritation in his voice as we're sitting on a couch at his frat house watching our favorite TV show. "It's no big deal, I told Connor to call me if he was in major trouble. I'm sure it's just something minor," I reassure him. Fallon moves from under me and reaches for the remote to mute the show. "Vera," he says while turning back to face me. I sit up straight from the seriousness of his voice. "I think Connor's trying to get you to come back to him. I checked out what happened to see if I could figure out who beat Connor up, but some things don't add up," Fallon tells me before I can ask what's wrong. A frown appears on my face at his words, he can't be insinuating what I think he is. "Fallon what exactly are you trying to say?" I ask right away while slowly scooting away from him. "I think Connor staged his attack somehow," he blurts out.

I shoot off the couch in seconds and look down at him while asking, "How could you say that about him? Will you make anything up just to keep me from helping him by myself? Are you that jealous? Fallon really? Do you not believe in my love for you that much?" Fallon is standing now as well and tries to take a step closer to me, but I put my hands up to stop him. "Vera just listen to me for once in your life," he tells me through clenched teeth. I glare at him and say with anger, "Connor is hurt. He could have died and you're trying to tell me it was all a lie? Why would he want someone else to kill him? Fallon you've never wanted me to be around Connor, do you even hear yourself?" He doesn't back down and only raises his voice, "DAMMIT VERA! You're not even going to hear me out?" I back away from him and ask one last question, "Fallon are you going to make me pick between the both of you?" He looks at me and I see defeat on his face, because he is. He's going to make me pick between a boy who I've promised to help recover and a boy I've fallen in love with. "Connor is an innocent pawn here and I won't break my promise to help him," I barely get out without my voice cracking. I can already feel the tears starting to collect in my eyes. I don't want to be having this conversation right now. "Vera he's not as innocent as you think he is," are the only words he has to tell me.

I walk out of the house and right when I feel the night breeze the tears fall down my face. What just happened? Did Fallon and I really break up? "Vera what's wrong?" I hear someone's voice ask me while I'm walking. I turn to see Olivia standing there with concern on her face. The next thing I know I'm in her arms and sobbing on her shoulder. "What happened?" she asks while wrapping her arms around me and patting my back. I don't think I can even fully process what just happened, but I try to get out the words, "We're done. Fallon and I broke up. I don't want to lose him though, I love him so much Liv." I hear a gasp escape her lips and she pulls me even closer to her, if possible, while reassuring, "Oh Vera I'm so sorry. I know. I know how much you love him and I know he loves you just as much. Don't worry though I'm sure you guys can work it out." I don't say or do anything, because she doesn't know how bad it really is.