Chapter Twenty Three 'City'

Start from the beginning

Jett was already awake by the time I wiped my eyes and stretched up off the couch. My hair was a tangled mess, my breath sticky and probably smelly. I needed a shower, and I bet Jett had wanted one just has much as I did.

"How did you sleep?" He asked sipping on a coffee he had made for himself in the kitchen

"Good" I nodded, fetching some breakfast for Dee

"I'll just finish my coffee and I'll be on my way. I have work tonight, so I'll have to find out if Nova is working so he can come and stay with you"

"And if he is working?" I asked. I didn't want Phoenix to stay with me, not now, not ever

"I know you won't like the idea of it, but it'll have to be Phoenix.."

I groaned and threw my head back like an ungrateful child

"Sorry Eden. I'd suggest you just try and enjoy your day"

"Brody messaged me last night, he wants to hang out, so I might spend the day with him"

"Just make sure you're back home by 5 tonight if you go out, as soon as that sun starts to go down, you're at risk" He advised me of my curfew

"Okay" I agreed, watching while he downed the last of his drink, quickly rinsing it under the tap

"Just take care, be aware, and be safe, I'll see you later" He smiled, picking his keys and phone up ready to leave

"Thank you for last night, and for everything we spoke about"

His lips lifted in return of my own grin "No worries, family first now, remember?"

I shook my head as we walked to the front door "Well not yet, she could still say no" I teased

He rolled his eyes and stepped out into the already warm weather outside "Bye Eden"

"See you" I called, his boots fading as he walked across the street towards his home

I locked the door wisely behind him, and readied myself for a long warm shower. Once that was finished, I would call Brody and see what he had in mind for the day, followed by Penny, just to see how her holiday was going.

Dee sat at the door of the shower, staring through the sweaty glass at me. For about a half hour, I allowed hot water to run over my body, still somewhat stinging my fading scar. I washed my hair, plucked my eyebrows with the aid of s small mirror and just enjoyed being spoilt by the refreshing waterfall. As well as having my body cleansed, it was like my mind also became clear and clean. Some of my best thinking was done in the shower, almost as if the steam drifting through the air unclouded my brain from dense congestion.

Why did I continue to allow Phoenix into my head so much? It was ridiculous and it had proven to be a major stressor in my life. I didn't need stressors. I was too young to deal with the crap he put me mentally through. I deserved to be out hanging with my friends, going on dates and enjoying the freedom of being a teenager, not attempting to de-tangle and de-crypt his ongoing troubled lifestyle. I felt like a fly trapped in a spider's web, wriggling and squirming to get out, only being wrapped tightly around and around by more of his lies and drama.

I looked at myself in the mirror, water dripping down my face.

"Don't let him do this to you, you are better than this" I told myself assertively

"You are a strong, independent woman who has complete control over her own emotions and decisions"

Stepping out of the shower, I stepped out with a new empowerment.

After blow drying my hair, combing the knots out and getting dressed, I applied some make-up, - solely for Brody's attention - and dialed his number.

I stood in my bedroom and reassessed my appearance as the phone rang. I had put on black skinny jeans, black and white original adidas shoes, and then matched it with a simple white v-neck loose T, and a black throw-over jacket for later if it got a little cold.