Don't Get Your Hopes Up, There's No Smut in This Chapter

"Trashy hotel? Really? Can't we go somewhere else?" Mikey asks.

"I doubt we can even go here, it's past midnight. When do you think check-in was?" I answer.

"Probably a few hours ago," Gerard says. "I don't want to sleep in this car all out in the open though."

"No, we really can't," I say, "We have to ditch this car as soon as possible."

"So what the hell do we do?"

"We're going to get a room here, and then we're going to head into town tomorrow morning and get ourselves a car," I tell him.

"How?" Mikey asks.

"Check the briefcase. There's about fifty thousand in there," I tell him, and Gerard picks the case up from at his feet.

"Whoa, holy fuck," Mikey says looking at it dumbstruck, "I've never seen that much money in real life before."

"I have," I say, "once."

"I'm not going to ask," Mikey says, and he grabs the briefcase from Gerard.

"Why do you get to hold it?" Gerard asks.

Mikey rolls his eyes at Gerard, and I look at him in the rearview, "I have my laptop case, dipshit. My laptop is all I grabbed when I left the house."

"Okay, call me an idiot if you'd like, but wouldn't a laptop case be the first thing a person would try to steal if they were to rummage through our stuff?"

"Who do you think is going to be looking through our stuff?" I ask.

"Just saying," Gerard replies.

"We're only going to be staying here for a night, Gerard. It's not a big deal, we're just going to be here one night. Why do I feel like I just jinxed everything?" I ask.

"You're too paranoid," Gerard answers.

"I may be, but I'd rather be cautious than not," I say, "Mikey take a thousand dollars or so, get yourself a room. If you take that much I'm sure they'll bend the rules for you. Gerard and I are going to stay with the car."

"What? Why?"

"Because I don't want to risk us all being in the same place, and I don't know who might be looking for this car right now," I tell him.

"Why do you need Gerard?" Mikey asks.

"The answer to that is not for your ears, baby bro," Gerard says.

Mikey makes a face, but grabs a knot of cash and then hops out of the car. I watch him as he goes, and pull into a parking spot to make sure that no one else goes in after him.

"What are we doing still here?" Gerard asks.

"I want to see that Mikey's safe," I tell him. "I doubt anyone followed us this time, but you can't be too safe."

"Mhm sure," Gerard says, "so where are we going then?"

"Somewhere out of the view of the public eye," I answer, "for multiple reasons."

~*~*~*~

I pull the car into the first public park I can find, and then drive it out over the grass and into the coverage of a line of trees. It's a big car so it has virtually no trouble going over the rougher terrain.

"We stay with the money and the guns, and we stay away from anyone who may be looking for this car. Tomorrow.... I don't know what we do tomorrow. We're going to have to go get another car, and then we drive."

"Drive where?" Gerard asks.

"I don't know, Gerard. I thought we'd be safe. I don't know how they found us, but this has made it clear that obviously he knows how to track us. So what do we do now is the question? Maybe he had another mole in the police or something? If so I don't see why it took three months to find us then. I think we need to avoid the police now too, Gerard."