Prologue

Note: I've moved platforms to see the edited and full version of this work go to 'Children of the Apocalypse ' by Kattak on AO3. link in the comments 

The wind howled and battered against the windows, well what was left of them anyway. Glass and blood marked the floor of the Jackson family house. The evidence of a struggle could be seen everywhere, from broken furniture to claw marks on the wall. Lightning flashed and for a heartbeat the house was illuminated with white light. Very slowly a small hatch from underneath the floor boards began to open and four very small figures crawled out cautiously. The looked around the remains of their family home in horror. Careful not to step on the glass in their bare feet they moved into the open in a tight huddle. The eldest, a boy of 11 years old had his arms protectively over this two younger sisters, aged 10 and 9. The youngest child was a boy who was of 8 years, he clung to the arm of this eldest sister. Lighting flashed again and all four siblings flinched.

"Charlie" the 10 year old girl half whispered to her older brother "Where's Mom and Dad?"

Charlie as just as scared as his younger siblings but being the eldest he knew that he wasn't allowed to show it. He clenched his jaw and opened his mouth to speak but then thought better of it, not trusting his voice to crack.

He had to be strong he thought over and over in his head, but his mind couldn't stop re living the event that had torn through their lives moments before.

Charlie and his siblings had always known that their parents where demigod, they were the grandchild of Poseidon and Athena and even through being the related to a God did have some particular benefits Charlie was old enough to understand that it also came at a price. Monsters.

The four siblings had grown up on stories of their parent's adventures, the war with the Titians and Giants. On two separate occasions their parents had saved the world but after Charlie was born they had left it behind in order to try and give their children and ordinary life. The Jackson's had seen monsters before, since they were the descendants of two very major Gods it was impossible to have a completely free monster life, but all the monsters that had discovered the whereabouts of the Jackson family had received a one way ticket back to Tartarus. That was, until tonight.

Charlie wasn't sure what they were, which was possible of the most unsettling thing, he had inherited his mother's brains. All four of the Jackson children had inherited a gift from their parents Charlie had his mother's brains, his younger sister Zoe was wise like her mother, Silena could speak horses and fish and little Luke the youngest could control water. Charlie knew every myth, every story, he knew the name of every monster out there that was braying for their blood. This however was something new. They came like ghosts in the night and it was all over before it had even started. They had gone straight to their parents' bedroom and attacked them while they were sleeping. Charlie had been woken by the noise and had known what to do instantly, he had silently gathered his siblings and hid them under the floorboards. Their mother had built the hatch under the floor for such an occasion. Though they never thought that they would have to use it. The sounds of a fight had died after 20 minutes but the Jacksons did not dare to leave the hatch until an hour had passed. They walked around the wreck that was their house and saw no sign of their parents. None of the children said it but they were silently relieved that they saw no bodies.

Luke bent forward and picked up a broken picture frame and stared down at the photo, his face expressionless. The family of six smiled up at him, the photo had been taken when the family had gone on holiday to San Francisco to visit New Rome. He looked carefully at every face. He and Sliena had blond hair like their Mother but had the sea green eyes of their father. Charlie and Zoe on the other hand had thick dark hair and stormy grey eyes, the opposite to their siblings. He pulled the photo out of the glass and clutched it tightly in his hand, his eyes burning with tears.

It wasn't long before they were found. Aunt Rachel and Uncle Grover had found them still in the house, surrounded by shards of glass. They didn't tell the Jacksons of what they knew but they clearly knew more than what they were saying. Rachel had explained that some very ancient and powerful monsters were after them and that they had taken their parents. To keep them safe Rachel and Grover had decided to separate the children, it would make their sent harder to track, they had reasoned. Scattered across the globe and with no way to find one another the Jackson Family went into hiding.