Chapter 1 - Essence

Theatre class was long and boring as usual

Theatre class was long and boring as usual. Everyone just sat around and stared at the colorful posters on the wall. Mr. Blount, our drama teacher, was lecturing us about Shakespeare and his ''poetic'' ways. When were we ever going to do a show? All we did was come to class and get lectured about 'the arts!'

We never even got ONE play script and it's almost spring break. I sighed in frustration, why did I pick the most boring art out of ALL the selections in this school? Don't get me wrong, I love theatre! But Pleasant Valley made me hate it to the core. 

"Today class, we are going to prepare for our first show!" Mr. Blount exclaimed.

"It's about time!" Someone shouted.

"Any who, we are doing Romeo and Juliet. The most popular play, ever!" He told.

"Finally! I can't wait to get the part of Juliet!" Ava boasted.

I rolled my eyes as Ava Whitmore's cockiness, she's so annoying. I bet you're wondering who this 'Ava Whitmore' girl is, well, she's like the spawn of chaos. She's in almost every art elective in school: Dance, Theatre, Music, Visual Arts, you name it! She was super competitive and a spoiled trust fund baby.

The term "spoiled trust fund baby" is a term we use for the rich kids at this school, most of them think they're entitled to everything. Ava was definitely one of those types. She had everything she wanted: money, popularity, and the perfect boyfriend---Peyton Mitchell. He was the most gorgeous thing on this entire planet. Peyton has dirty blonde hair, ocean blue eyes—sometimes they're even brown. He also has a smile that could light up this whole room. Peyton was one of the most popular theatre guys in school, every girl wanted him and every guy wanted to be him.

Peyton has been my crush for years and he's never batted an eye at me. Besides, he's dating Ava, he likes the 'model' types, not some size sixteen theatre geek. As 'up-to-date' I was in fashion, I still wasn't popular. I was just the school's "pretty fat girl".

"I'm sure you'll get it, babe." Peyton reassured.

"I don't need your reassurance." Ava spat.

"Oh. . . .Sorry"

Ugh! She's so mean to him! What's the point of having someone so great if you're going to treat them like crap? She doesn't deserve him at all, but who am I kidding? Peyton will never break up with her.

"Auditions will be tomorrow after school." Mr. Blount informed.

"May as well give me the role!" Ava smirked.

"Let's not get beside ourselves, anyone can audition!" He announced.

"What roles are being given?" I asked.

"How do you not know what roles are in the most famous play ever?" Ava teased.

"I wasn't talking to you, Whitmore." I spat.

"What are you going to audition for anyway?" She laughed, "A tree?"

"No, but you can have the role as a pile of horse shit!"

"Enough!" Mr. Blount shouted, "Take an audition script from the table and rehearse."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe to gain my composure. I swear Ava made me want to hit her sometimes. A devious thought popped up in my brain, I got up out of my seat and walked past Ava and Peyton. I had my phone in my hand and I slyly dropped it in front of them. I acted as if I was pulling up the waistband of my yoga pants, then I proceeded to bend over in front them to 'pick' my phone up.

I peaked around my shoulder and Ava looked absolutely disgusted and angry while Peyton looked captivated by what I had done. I wasn't trying to 'get his attention,' I was trying to piss Ava off, and it sure did work.  I grabbed my phone off the floor and sashayed towards the table of scripts for each character.

"Hmm. . . I think I'll audition for Juliet!" I mumbled to myself.

I was skimming over the lines of Juliet on the script, and boy, Shakespeare was hard. I couldn't understand one word this 'Shakespeare' guy was talking about.  Mr. Blount had written where he wanted us to start and stop at in sharpie marker. To my surprise, Juliet's audition scene ended with a kiss. Oh gosh, now I'm going to have to kiss some random douchebag during tomorrow---this should be fun.

"Move out the way, fat ass! You're blocking the table!" A random girl vociferated, as she pushed me out the way.

Ugh! People are so damn rude at this school! She has the nerve to call me a fat ass? We'll see about that.

"I much rather be fat than have makeup that doesn't match my skin." I taunted.

"Excuse me?" She gasped.

"That's right, work on your highlight and contour before you try to bully me." I spat.

The girl quickly swiped her paper from the table and stomped off in umbrage. I silently giggled to myself, this was a hell of a learning facility. Now, what am I going to do about that kiss tomorrow?

CLIFFHANGER!

ANY IDEAS? COMMENT!

INSTAGRAM: @ Colormekiana

TWITTER: @ Lyric_Rapper1

FACEBOOK: Facebook.com/Colormekiana

S.N.

I have other books on sale on Amazon.com AND Barnesandnoble.com, just type in "Kiana Russell" :)