8. A Brighter Light

Start from the beginning

We reach the waterfall at nightfall. Roane insists we hide until Caleb comes, just in case he doesn't come alone. I tell him his worries are futile, but more useless is arguing with him. Either I wait with him at a safe distance or he'll wait with me right by the waterfall. I know for Caleb to see Roane right away will do more harm than good and so I fold. We climb one of the taller trees, enough to have a view of the waterfall and the surrounding areas from behind our camouflage of leaves.

I settle into a nook between some branches. "I'm sorry to hear about your king-well, I mean, I'm not sorry he's dying, but you seem upset so I'm guessing he was important to you in some way."

He leans back against the bark, flipping a small blade from in-between one finger to another. "He was going to die, eventually," he says, carelessly, though it's getting easier to read his moods. Since he heard of the coronation, he's been quiet, save for the moments he argued with me about waiting for Caleb.

"Then what's wrong? Is the new King worse than his father?"

He stiffens. "He's nothing like his father."

"You think he's different? I find it hard to believe that. They're still taking girls and he's done nothing about it."

"It's the king who wants those girls. The prince has never been into non-magics. He never even wanted to inherit, but when his older brother died, he was next in line. It's not a position you can turn down."

"Oh," I say. I feel for him. I do. "Was he a friend of yours?"

Roane nods. "Something like that."

He straightens and juts his chin in the direction of the waterfall. Someone stands beside the ridge that leads to the opening. They wave their torch from side to side-the sign I had told Gia to tell Caleb.

My heart pounds and I make to climb down. "It's him!"

Roane grabs my hand, stopping me. "Wait here. I'll see if it's safe."

He climbs down first and inches toward the flames. I dig my nails into the rough bark to keep from bolting from the tree. Seeing Caleb there in running distance ties my heart and stomach into one impossible knot that lodges in my throat.

It plummets when Roane appears at the base of the tree and waves me down. I half climb-half fall, and Roane catches me when I slip the last few feet.

"He's alone, but I'll keep watch. Just wave the torch side to side when you want me to come." His hands are still anchored on my waist. I glance down at them and when he realizes this, he lowers them and steps back.

I spin to leave, but Roane catches my arm and stops me. "You're sure about this?"

His concern is logical and I would doubt too if put in his position, but the desire to see Caleb, to feel him stable in an otherwise shifting world of secrets and danger pushes the words from my mouth. "If we can trust anyone, it's Caleb."

He holds onto my arm for another moment before letting me go. A smile steals onto my lips at the prospect waiting by the waterfall and I dash in that direction.

When I get to the waterfall, Caleb is gone, but light spills out from behind the flowing waters. He's inside the hidden cave. I climb down onto the ledge, flatten my body against the wall, and let the cool mist blanket me as I shift sideways. Every step quickens my pulse. This ledge has never seemed so long.

Walking into the narrow cave, I hurry to the open door within the tunnel. My heart slows and my steps stop. Caleb stands in the center of the room, the candles in the room lit around him. With his back to me, he stares out into the open space, to nothing at all. I close the door behind me and he spins, a dagger in his hands. His fighting stance withers instantly upon seeing me, and the dagger clatters on the floor.