5 - to the rescue

Dedicated to _nightlock for the fabulous banner at the side! :) 

♕♕♕

Chapter 5

♕♕♕

Rule #196 of the Pecunia Rulebook:

A Pecunian's Level is subjected to change every day (24 hours). Any failure to update one's Level will be heavily penalised.

♕♕♕

Nathan decided to go home, even though he was very unwilling to go back and face the man he called his father.

Things still had to be done, like washing up, eating breakfast and so on.

I should not miss breakfast because of that man, Nathan childishly thought on his way home.

He, surprisingly, slept soundly through the night yesterday. It was a rare thing for Nathan; to be able to have a good night's rest. He was an insomniac; someone who barely made it through three hours of sleep before he was being jolted out of his dreams, for no apparent reason. He was puzzled, though. How could rough gravel in a dark alley, his place of rest for the night, be compared to the finest silk bedsheets in his bedroom?

Maybe it was because of Skye. A fleeting thought crossed Nathan's mind, but it quickly vanished as soon as he stepped into his mansion.

The servants and maids were already hard at work. Some were hastily scrubbing the tables and countertops till they shone, others were sweeping the fairly large number of rooms in Nathan's house. His mansion had four floors, after all.

One domestic helper noticed Nathan's presence after a few seconds. "Sir Nathan!"

Nathan internally cringed. Not her, not her.

A slightly plump and middle-aged woman hurried to Nathan. She had a fat smile plastered on her face, the sleeves of her ironed black suit creased as she flailed her arms in an attempt to walk faster in her heels.

She was the seniorest staff out of all the servants and maids, as she has been working here shortly after Nathan's mother death. Hence, unfortunately, she has been given the role of Nathan's personal assistant, which was just another title which stood for 'Nathan's 24-hour surveillance camera and nanny'.

"Nancy," Nathan forced out a greeting, as he attempted to walk past her and get to his room.

Nancy, however, was not planning on letting Nathan pass.

"Where did you spend the night, Sir?" Nancy probed, a glint in her eye. "We were so worried about you. We searched the pub that you frequented, but you were not there."

Nathan let an inaudible sigh escape.

"What do you mean by 'We'? You don't mean Father, do you?" Nathan fired another question back, looking at Nancy straight in the eye. Nancy flinched, and her gaze dropped to the floor.

Servants were still, after all, servants.

"Sir, Mr Owens still cares for you, even if he doesn't express it," Nancy said in a chiding tone. "But, where were you, Sir Nathan? I'm terribly sorry for questioning you like that, but I'll have to report to Mr Owens."

Nathan dryly chuckled. That woman was really task-oriented.

"I spent the night at a friend's house," Nathan stated.

"Which friend, Sir? We checked with all of your friends on your phone's contact list," Nancy replied, covering her mouth with her hand the moment she realised she had spilled the beans.