1 - the troubles of life

Dedicated to @_aviary because she inspired me to come up with this plot idea with her AMAZING story, The First Day Of October. You guys should go check it out! :D

♕♕♕

Chapter 1 

♕♕♕

Rule #336 of the Pecunia Rulebook:

A Pecunian with a Level lower than 15 will be denied access to proper shelter, and his / her form of accommodation will be put on auction during the Annual Auction.

♕♕♕

Being raised in the community of Pecunia since birth, Skye Jackson knew that money was the main driving force to enable people, Pecunians in particular, to get things done efficiently and quickly. Speed and efficiency guaranteed more profits, so people went about their jobs daily, without complaints or unhappiness.

So Skye knew the reason why the brunette leaning against the cash register in the fast food restuarant was throwing her a glare so lethal that it could compare to a snake's venom. It was because of money. The brunette, named Polly, was pretty, with big brown eyes, and a slim physique.

Being pretty in Pecunia was also a great advantage. No matter how much Pecunians preach about money, they also like aesthetically pleasing faces. Pretty people could get jobs easily.

Skye guessed that was how Polly got her job, since she, from the past five minutes of Skye's observation, has not been doing any work in the restaurant except examining her manicured fingernail, and retying her ponytail three times.

Being the newest employee in the fast food restaurant, Skye was tasked to do the typical newbie's job - clearing the rubbish in the kitchen. Tying the bright red apron around her waist, she moved to the kitchen. Skye's eyes scanned for the dustbin that she needed to clear.

Ah, there it was. she thought, shuddering as she saw the big, black bin overflowing with litter like carrot peels and small pieces of lettuce. As she strode forward to take the bin, it was suddenly tipped over, and all of its contents spilled on the floor, filling the kitchen with an unbearable stench.

"Oops, I'm sorry. Pick those up?" Polly wrung her hands, flashing me a fake smile.

"You did that on purpose." she gritted my teeth.

"Yep," she said, popping the 'p'. "It's only the right thing to do, because your presence is a threat, you little dimwit," she spat menacingly.

Staring at Polly as she evilly sneered, Skye realised that she did not seem so pretty after all.

♕♕♕

Wiping off beads of sweat that have trickled down the sides of her face, Skye resumed washing the dishes in the kitchen. Cutlery was an easy job, compared to the huge plates and bowls that contained a huge amount of grease on them.

The chef, was also hard at work in the kitchen. When Skye could take a short break in between dish-washing sessions, she would quietly watch the chef as he deftly threw several chicken patties in the air before catching all of them in his large frying pan.

The chef was a middle-aged man with a paunch, and was also Polly's father. Skye, at first, feared that Polly's father would be as menacing as his daughter, but to her greatest relief, he was a man of few words and did what he was supposed to do.

It was almost seven o' clock in the evening. People began streaming into the fast food restaurant, tired and hungry after a hard day at work. Business was picking up, and that was good, because even though Skye had to wash a humongous pile of dishes at the end of the day, she did not have to worry about losing her job that soon.