3 - a taste of danger

Dedication to graceylahlah for being such great fan, and friend as well. :D And just a side note, you don't have a cute erh-herm okay? Get over it. xD

♕♕♕

Chapter 3

♕♕♕

Rule #142 of the Pecunia Rulebook:

A Pecunian, with a Level of 30 or below, who is guilty of theft will need to be engaged in community service for a year, and undergo a Level degrade of 10 Levels.

A Pecunian, with a Level of 40 to 60, who is guilty of theft will need to be engaged in community service for six months, and undergo a Level degrade of 5 Levels.

A Pecunian, with a Level of 60 and above, who is guilty of theft will need to be engaged in community service for three months, and undergo a Level degrade of 3 Levels.

♕♕♕

Skye was afraid, filled with so much trepidation that she could hear her blood thudding in her ears. Her eyes riveted on the boy in front of her, she took a few steps back quickly, worried that the boy might hurt her.

He certainly looked like he was capable of doing that, with his nostrils flaring angrily, and his arms held in a fighting stance.

"Please...don't hurt me," she said shakily.

She watched as the boy visibly relaxed, his hands now lowered to his sides. Skye exhaled a sigh of relief.

"No, don't worry. I won't hurt you." the boy replied, and he stepped closer to Skye.

Skye finally relaxed, but her relief was short-lived. A gasp left her mouth after she noticed the boy's collar. A huge '96' was embroidered on it, and the two digits seemed to be taunting Skye as she continued gaping at it. Skye gulped, and looked back up at the boy. He was observing her, an amused smirk on his face.

Skye was at a loss. She has never been in the presence of someone with a rank higher than 50, because people with a rank more than half of 100 usually stayed out of the Poor's ways, as the Rich looked down on the Poor.

Should I bow? Or should I greet him? Skye asked herself.

"What's your Level?" came the dreaded question before Skye could decide what to do. She froze, and she even decided on telling a lie to spare her from further humiliation. However, she knew the deadly consequences that awaited her if she ever dared to lie about her Level.

She decided to tell the truth. "L...Level 21."

A look of disdain momentarily flickered over the boy's face. Skye felt her stomach lurch, and she braced herself for the unkind comments to come.

To her surprise, the boy walked to her, and settled down beside her. "It's been a long day, I'll just rest here for the night."

Skye, not knowing what to say in reply, nodded numbly. She leaned her head on the wall behind her, letting her thoughts run wild. She listened to the boy's steady breathing beside her. Her body, on the other hand, stayed stiff, because she was not used to being in such close proximity with a boy.

Being denied a proper education in school, Skye did not know many people, let alone be friends with anyone. Skye suddenly thought of a question she was dying to ask the rich boy beside her.

"Are you happy?" Skye blurted, immediately regretting her question when the boy was jolted awake from his short nap. He rubbed his eyes, and locked gazes with Skye. Skye unconciously shivered from the boy's intense gaze.