[27]

[ luke's point of view ]

"l-luke?"

i tried to say something, but the words caught in my throat. i can't recall how long we stood there, me staring at michael, michael staring at me, the pizza chef staring at the both of us.

our eye contact was broken when michael lunged over the counter and wrapped his arms around me. i was tugged forwards so abruptly that my hip bones slammed against the hard plastic.

under normal circumstances, it would hurt. at that moment, however, i didn't feel a thing.

all i felt was michael.

i stretched my arms across his narrow back and squeezed, pouring my emotion into the hug. michael buried his face in the space between my neck and my shoulder and it took me only a second to notice that he was shaking uncontrollably.

it took me another second to notice that i was doing the same.

i was suddenly hit with the realization that i was physically holding michael after so many long months, and i felt tears well up in my eyes. michael lifted his head to look at me, and in doing so, brought his face inches away from mine. a few stray tears had fallen from his eyes, showing that he was feeling as many emotions as i was.

when i spoke, my voice sounded choked and rough, as if i hadn't made a sound in years.

"you know, you denied that you would cry when we met, because you're so manly and all. i guess calum owes me thirty dollars."

michael tried to blink away the tears that were collecting in his eyes, but i had already seen them.

"you made a bet with calum that i wouldn't cry?"

"calum believed you, but i know that you're a hopelessly sappy person and that you wouldn't be able to stop yourself from crying."

the corners of his mouth turned downwards in a frown.

"this is the happiest i've ever been in my life, yet you've still found a way to make fun of me."

a chuckle escaped my lips. "i thought that we already established that i'm a horrible person who finds delight in the misery of my friends."

in response, michael just giggled and buried his head in the crook of my neck again.

once his head was no longer blocking my vision, i made eye contact with the pizza chef, who was still standing awkwardly and watching us interact. seeing him brought me out of my reverie, and the feeling of my hip bones pressed up against the counter was becoming painful.

i cleared my throat, and michael, hearing the noise, glanced upwards to see what was the matter. he saw where i was looking, and turned his head towards the chef.

he retracted his arms and placed his hands back on the counter. the pressure against my hip bones receded, and i sighed in relief.

michael turned to the chef and waved him away.

"i've got it from here, greg. you don't have to supervise."

the large man turned to go back to his kitchen, but before doing so, i saw him wink at the blue-haired boy standing in front of me.

michael ran his hands down the front of his shirt to smooth out any wrinkles, and he ran his fingers through his fringe to push the hair out of his face.

"now, let's start over." the smirk that he almost always had on his face was back. "welcome to matt's pizza, what can i get for you on this lovely night?"

although i had walked into the restaurant with a purpose; to get a midnight snack, i had completely forgotten any plans i had once i looked into michael's face.

his ever-present smirk was something that i was used to seeing through a screen, but in person it threw me off. i started speaking even before i knew what i was going to say, which ended in me sputtering out random noises.

michael smiled and shook his head, which caused his fringe to fall back in his face, stopping just above his thick eyebrows that framed his bright green eyes.

i decided that to avoid any more embarrassment, i needed to get the distracting thoughts about the way michael looked out of my head and just talk to him as normally as if we were skyping.

i put my hands on the counter and leaned towards michael, a smile playing on my lips.

"how about we ditch the pizza and you can come back to my place?"

"that sounded oddly like a pick-up line, like you were trying to get a random stranger to go home with you for sex.", michael scoffed.

i just shrugged, not even bothering to deny his claims.

he pulled his work uniform shirt over his head, revealing a ripped-up nirvana t-shirt underneath. when he raised his arms up, a thin strip of pale stomach was visible, and i had to cough to mask my quick intake of breath.

he swung his legs over the counter and called back to the kitchen, "i'm heading out a few minutes early, greg. you'll have to lock up. thanks."

he sent me a happy smile once we stepped outside into the cool night air.

as we walked towards my car, i turned to look at the boy standing beside me, outlined by the moonlight behind him.

"mike, you seem to have forgotten that the reason we're so close now is because i threw pick-up lines at you when we were still random strangers."

+-+-+

it finally happened !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've been ready for this to happen so long but when i actually had to write the chapter i realized that i had no idea how i wanted it to happen

oh well this isn't what i'd hoped for but it'll do

i'm so proud of myself for not taking so long to update (:

it was mya's birthday last week ( almighty-calum ) so you guys should go check out her profile and read her books because they're great and because mya is great and i love her a lot (:

okay see you guys soon you're all so amazing thank you for the lovely and encouraging comments i love you

-cali