John was the worst off, sprawled across the couch with his legs spread out, contented and frustrated at the same time.

"Paul, luv?" He said, not bothering to look over at him.

"What?" Paul responded slowly, his mind not working as fast as he'd liked it to.

It was a couple moments later when John remembered what he was going to say, giggling childishly once he did. "I don't feel like wankin'. Give us a hand, will ya? Or possibly yer mouth." He chuckled, already beginning to unzip his trousers, feeling himself through his underwear.

Paul scrunched up his face in reply, and shook his head slowly, although the reaction between his legs said otherwise.

After minutes and minutes of just sitting there, he finally sighed and crawled over to John, climbing onto the sofa clumsily and unsurely.

"You're an idiot, John." He muttered mostly to himself, giving into his selfish needs without considering the possibilities of what it meant at all.

-

Nothing was ever said about that, either. It was as if it hasn't even happened. They both remembered it, but there was no way in hell they could say anything about it to each other.

So, that was it.

It was quite sad really, the way they always had felt the tension all the time without being able to do anything about it. Their eyes stayed locked for what seemed like hours and they literally couldn't touch without lingering there longer than needed. It nearly drove John mad back then.

Back then?

Hell, John was still going crazy over Paul, and he lived on an entirely different continent now.

With an annoyed sound he jumped up and walked over to the phone, quickly dialing Paul's number. It was a miracle that he knew it still. It rung a couple times, and John's shallow breath was the only sound in the room, his mouth dry.

"Hello?"

John nearly dropped the phone when he heard that voice, so soft and beautiful as always.

"Hey, it's John." He said quietly, his voice strong and steady despite the way his knees felt like jello.

There was a long pause on the other end.

"John? What d'ya need? Isn't it like-" Paul did the math quickly in his head"-three in the morning over there?"

"Yeah, yeah it is."

"What are you doing up so late?"

".."

"I miss you, Paul."

"Don't be daft, Lennon.."

"I'm serious, I'm going absolutely fucking crazy."

John spoke quietly, almost in a whisper as he tried not to wake his small family.

Paul's breath caught, still trying to come to terms with the fact that John called him just because he missed him.

"I want you to come see me." John said on a complete whim, his eyes watering as he let out a shaky laugh, not even caring about how insane he probably seemed.

"In New York? Are you serious?"

"Completely. I know you probably can't right now, but maybe you can come over for Christmas?"

Paul sighed heavily, closing his eyes.

"I'll think about it.. I miss y' too, Johnny.."

"Please? You can even bring your little herd of mini-maccas, yeah?"

They both chuckled softly at that, as if nothing wrong had ever happened between the two of them, like they had never stopped loving each other.

"Yeah, I'll be there, John."

"Good, good. I'll see you then, Paul."

"...John?"

"Hm?"

"I love you, you daft fool."

"I love y' too, Paul."

John heard the click on the other end of the line, and then set the phone down slowly, unable to get the huge smile off of his face. He wiped at the tears pooling up behind his lids, sighing in absolute amazement and disbelief.

Why the hell hadn't he done that sooner?

But the next day when Paul called back, just to confirm they were really doing this, all he gets is no reply.

And then, he gets the news.

__________________________

*HUGS EVERYONE*

Guys I'm actually crying because this is over omg :-(

I couldn't have finished this without the encouragement I received from all of the comments and votes and all of that.

I'm definitely going to start a new story, and the info for that will be posted here, so please don't delete it from your libraries yet.

I love you alllll <3