Chapter Fifteen

Hannah pursed her lips. "He's got a good sense of humor. He and I are quite close, actually. Harry used to get into all sorts of trouble when we were growing up-"

"He sounds like a lot of fun." Kat clapped excitedly. "Ask him to come."

"I'll ask, but I'm not making any promises."

Hannah left work that day feeling uneasy. She didn't know Kat well yet, and she wasn't naive enough to believe that this party wouldn't have booze. Alcohol had been outlawed over a decade ago, and she was still underage. Her stomach roiled uncomfortably as she contemplated asking Harry to come, hoping his somewhat reckless nature wouldn't surface. Harry, knowing he'd have an attractive date, would easily agree, but having her older brother along might help Hannah feel more secure.

After dinner that evening, Hannah sought Harry out.

"I have something to ask you," she said.

"What is it, Hannah-banana?" Harry teased with an easy smile.

"Please don't call me that, Harry. We're not kids anymore."

"Sorry, sorry." Harry held up his hands placatingly. "Someone's a bit touchy, isn't she?"

"Harry, I'm being serious-"

"Something you're quite skilled at. All right, sis. What's this about?"

"I have an attractive friend at work named Kat."

"Meow!"

Hannah couldn't suppress her smile. She refrained from playfully smacking Harry on the arm.

"Anyway, there's a party this weekend - some friend of hers. She's going to set me up with her brother, and she asked about you coming along as a sort of date for her."

"Some young doll wants me to go on a date? Sign me up!"

"I'll be telling her 'yes' tomorrow?" Hannah was already relaxing, Harry's easygoing attitude infectious.

"You'd better."

"All right, then."

x x x x x

When Friday evening arrived, Hannah looked herself over one last time in the mirror. She'd settled on a simple plum-colored V-neck dress with an A-line skirt that stopped just below the knees. Its matching belt was a nice accessory, but since it had no sleeves, Hannah opted for an off-white cardigan to go over it.

Hannah went downstairs and saw Harry in the living room. His hair was brushed and neat, and he'd shaved, which was saying more than most days for him. He wore simple dark brown slacks and a beige button-down collared shirt with a brown vest over it. When she entered the room, Harry stood.

"Wow, Hannah, you look, uh... really great."

A blush covered Hannah's cheeks as she waved him off. "You look quite nice yourself, Harry. Did you borrow one of Pa's ties?"

Harry glanced down at the tie and shrugged. "Nah, this old thing? I've had it for years. But seriously, little sis, you're quite a looker. If this guy doesn't fall head over heels for you, he's off his rocker. He'd best be careful, though. I'm not having any monkey business-"

"Listen to you," Hannah said with a laugh. "You sound all protective older brother."

A noisy jalopy of a car pulled in front of the house, the headlights flashing through the window. Pa stepped into the room and said, "You kids behave. Be back before midnight if you'll have any mercy on your old folks."