Chapter Fifteen

Soon after starting her job, Hannah made friends with another new secretary, by the name of Katherine Jones, although she preferred Kat. Kat was twenty-two and laughed easily. Her hair color and style changed every few weeks, and the way she spoke of her hair, Hannah thought her friend should have been a beautician. Kat's hair was currently an unnaturally bright shade of red and curled.

The friends were speaking of Kat's dream to be a hair stylist that late October day over lunch.

"Trust me, Hannah, if I could've, I would've, but my parents weren't keen on the idea."

"But there will always been a need-"

"Mother says nowadays that people can't go spending their hard-earned money on luxuries. She wants me to marry, but I poo-pooed that idea."

"You don't want to marry?"

"Why does everyone think I have to marry? Just because a woman is young and available doesn't mean she's a broad for some sugar-daddy to drink up."

"Sugar-daddy?" Hannah laughed.

"My dad's fifteen years older than my mom. Mom thinks I should marry someone older - 'with more life experience' - as she says." Kat snorted, rolling her green eyes and clicking her chewing gum.

Hannah found the gum chewing annoying, but didn't say so.

"Do you have any siblings?" Hannah asked as they walked back to their desks.

"A brother. Younger."

Hannah nodded. "What's he like?"

"Green eyes, brown hair, average build." Kat turned in her chair to regard Hannah shrewdly. "Why are you asking? Would you like to schmooze with him?"

Hannah reddened. "Well... is he nice?"

"Why don't you and he meet up and find out? He's not taken, if that's what you're asking."

I'm probably a fool for trying, but - "Why not?" Hannah needed to know what her prospects were.

"I'll see if he's available on Friday." Kat grinned. "Oh, this is the bee's knees, Hannah! I can't believe someone's actually interested in my little bro."

Hannah returned the smile, somewhat nervously. "I'm not promising anything. If I don't date him more than once, you won't hold it against me?"

Kat laughed that remark off. "Puh-lease, no. Like a lot of young men, Will needs a good woman. And you're certainly pretty enough."

Hannah half-frowned. "I wasn't popular in school. My experience is limited to a few awkward school dances, and my friends and I usually wound up standing together on one side of the gym while the boys stood on the other."

"School dances are hardly the venue for meeting someone. A party is a good place. You've never been to a real party?"

"Other than family gatherings, no."

"My dear Hannah," Kat said in a mock-serious tone, "you've been missing out. I know someone who's having a party this weekend. You and Will should come together."

"What about you? Do you have a date?"

"Well, not exactly." Kat was being cryptic. "Didn't you mention that you had brothers?"

"Yes. Erik is the oldest. He's married. Then there's Harry, who still lives at home. He's twenty and is learning my father's trade."

"Is he a real cat?"