Chapter 10

Applause and shouts of congratulations broke out. Hannah half-heartedly clapped and forced a smile to her face.

While it helped some to see Amy's joy, Hannah couldn't contain the bitterness inside. She quietly excused herself when enough time had passed to not raise suspicion and went to her bedroom.

She lay down on the bed and kicked her dress shoes off. Staring blankly at the ceiling, Hannah tried to let her mind wander as she often had when she was younger, but failed.

Some time later, Ma's voice called after her up the stairs, and Hannah sat up with a sigh and slipped her shoes back on. Her presence was requested downstairs as guests were leaving. She felt Ma's probing eyes on her back the rest of the evening

After the Rechtharts said farewell to Jack, Amy walked outside with him for a few minutes alone. Hannah dragged herself into the kitchen for cleanup.

The whole family was helping out, including Erik's two friends. Hannah noticed one of them eyeing her up, and she blushed as she tried to avoid his gaze. They were identical in every aspect, including handsomeness. Hannah picked up a stack of dishes to take downstairs and chanced a glance at the blonde-haired twin who was staring at her with his piercing blue eyes. Whether it was Luke or Joshua, she couldn't tell, but the feeling wasn't entirely uncomfortable, especially when a dimple formed on the boy's cheek when he grinned at her.

Hannah whisked her gaze away, half-sorry, half-delighted she'd looked. She dashed down the basement stairs and secured the plates in the spare cabinet.

Some of the wooden folding chairs had been brought down earlier. Hannah took one, unfolded it, and sat. She gazed around at the familiar surroundings and took comfort in them: the window where coal was shoveled every year before winter, Ma's washing machine, and a line of shoes Pa was fixing. If Hannah concentrated, she was sure the smell of the apples they'd placed on the furnace ledge a few weeks ago for roasting still lingered. Before long, Christmas would be upon them, and Hannah wondered what it would bring.

Heavy footsteps on the stairs alerted Hannah to the group of boys coming. She scrambled out of the chair and refolded it, placing it with the others.

"Hannah?" Erik asked. "What are you doing?"

"Looks like she's trying to get out of doing her fair share of work," Harry quipped. "Best you'd get upstairs, little sis, before Ma comes looking for you."

Behind her brothers, the twins chuckled. Hannah flushed and ran past them. Once she reached the kitchen, Ma said, "There you are. Lord knows you've been hiding on us enough for one day. Hannah, go help Amy put the candleholders away."

Hannah nodded and found Amy in the dining room. "Do you need help?"

"Yes, since you're offering. Hannah, before we do anything more, I have to show you the ring Jack got me."

Amy held out her hand, and Hannah stared at the simple gold band with a modest diamond in the center.

"It's beautiful. Congratulations."

As the sisters went about their task in awkward silence, Hannah finally posed the question that was burning inside her. "Do you have a date set?"

"We were thinking a summer wedding, probably June." Amy closed the hutch. "Hannah, I'd like it very much if you'd be my maid of honor."

Hannah's mouth hung open slightly, her eyes large. "I'm touched and honored, Amy. I- I'll do my best." Smiling weakly, Hannah accepted Amy's hug, wishing she could sort out her emotions.